Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
The Canyon : Morning After a Snow
Photo Location: Northern Colorado 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Its been about a month since I shot with my large format camera, so this morning, I headed up the local canyon for some early morning photography.

We had some snow yesterday and it was a cold 2° F this morning. This was my first time using my large format camera in such cold conditions, which made for some not so easy photography. I've had my eyepiece on my DSLR fog up occasionally, but when using a ground glass for composing/focusing, it is a whole other matter.

That and a frozen tripod made it a little harder than normal for shooting. My shutter also didn't like the cold temperatures. I could only use down to 1/8 sec. shutter, the slower settings were too slow because of the cold.

I'll be removing the lubricant from my large format shutters and finding a better method for keeping my ground glass free of ice before I head back out with it.

Anyway, here is one of the photos I shot today. Shot with a Zone VI 4x5 large format camera on Fomapan 200 using a Nikon SW 180mm F5.6 lens. Shot through a 25A Gel filter and processed using HC-110 Dilution H at 8.5 minutes.

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 11-16-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Views: 1,540
11-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a nice photo, but let me ask the following as a serious question: given the effort and difficulties involved, was it worth it relative to the shot you could have taken with a (D)SLR?
11-16-2014, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
It is a nice photo, but let me ask the following as a serious question: given the effort and difficulties involved, was it worth it relative to the shot you could have taken with a (D)SLR?

Yes.

The shot would have been impossible with a DSLR. The best thing about large format cameras is.... Movements. I was shooting up at a near 45 degree angle to get this shot. To make the trees look "normal" and not falling away, and to get the whole scene in the correct perspective, I had to use a lot of front rise, front tilt and back tilt.

The shot would just not be possible with a DSLR.
11-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder that also... but I guess the effort and difficulties were a challenge by themselves. Nice shot, and indeed it looks a bit different. Perhaps this is the reward.

11-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
The shot would have been impossible with a DSLR. The best thing about large format cameras is.... Movements. I was shooting up at a near 45 degree angle to get this shot. To make the trees look "normal" and not falling away, and to get the whole scene in the correct perspective, I had to use a lot of front rise, front tilt and back tilt.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Having never looked at how large format works I'm not sure I follow the combination of front and back tilt in terms of how you set up a shot like this. Something for me to delve into.
11-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the detailed answer. Having never looked at how large format works I'm not sure I follow the combination of front and back tilt in terms of how you set up a shot like this. Something for me to delve into.
Here's a decent short article on Large Format camera movements and "Scheimpflug" or shifting the camera's focal plane to get subjects at different distances at the same focus.

camera movements

Once you use movements, it is hard to go back.

I'm actually contemplating building a back for my DSLR to attach to one of my large format cameras so that I can use movements with the DSLR.
11-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Its been about a month since I shot with my large format camera, so this morning, I headed up the local canyon for some early morning photography.

We had some snow yesterday and it was a cold 2° F this morning. This was my first time using my large format camera in such cold conditions, which made for some not so easy photography. I've had my eyepiece on my DSLR fog up occasionally, but when using a ground glass for composing/focusing, it is a whole other matter.

That and a frozen tripod made it a little harder than normal for shooting. My shutter also didn't like the cold temperatures. I could only use down to 1/8 sec. shutter, the slower settings were too slow because of the cold.

I'll be removing the lubricant from my large format shutters and finding a better method for keeping my ground glass free of ice before I head back out with it.

Anyway, here is one of the photos I shot today. Shot with a Zone VI 4x5 large format camera on Fomapan 200 using a Nikon SW 180mm F5.6 lens. Shot through a 25A Gel filter and processed using HC-110 Dilution H at 8.5 minutes.

Gorgeous photograph.

11-17-2014, 04:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Excellent and well done ... TFS, J
11-18-2014, 06:35 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Gorgeous photograph.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Excellent and well done ... TFS, J
Thanks guys! I really need to take it out the large format more. I am a beginner with it, but can see the huge potential it has. I haven't yet finished the first 50 sheet film pack.

What I really like about the large format film is the extreme detail and very high dynamic range available. I don't know for sure, but I'd say the dynamic range is half again as much as the best DSLR's out there.

Here's one shot with the same film where the best DSLR would be hard pressed to get the detail and DR, not to mention the movements I used to correct the perspective.

11-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not quite convinced a DSLR could not do this. But it's a gorgeous photo, that's for sure.
11-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I'm not quite convinced a DSLR could not do this. But it's a gorgeous photo, that's for sure.
Agreed ... it's an excellent capture. J
11-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nicely framed and processed! Good stuff
11-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent picture. And on film nonetheless!!!
11-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
maybe with some bellows?

but back to the pictures: AWESOME!
11-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Nice pix....but with a tripod why just F 5.6 ? Shutter issues...ie; too long a shutter opening with F 16 or so ?