Rough
Posted By: redcat, 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM

Views: 2,923
11-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Originally posted by micromacro Quote I would suggest skin cleanser first, then brown mascara, delicate eye shadows, and transparent lip gloss. She is natural beauty. +1 for that! Also - I know this is not a critique thread, but in contrary to some , I personally think that this beautiful woman hasn't been given the justice to because your lighting is too harsh and the image is overly too sharp- when we look at people with our own eyes we don't see individual pores and every single blemish of their make-up. Portraits are meant to emphasize what's already there and translate the person's aura to the viewer. In this case I BET that she in real life looks delicate and fragile - yet I don't see this in your photo, It is like getting a soft baby and trying to picture it as a weather-beaten case-hardened sunburnt globetrotter! That is a very beautiful, delicate woman , that could do with light make-up and would be pictured much better with softer light and less harsh treatment during post processing.
thanks a lot for your very informative feedback ! I just have the chance to shoot some photos of her, she is not a model but a girl in the strobe stand, she's there for peopel to test the lighting, this was a one light set-up. I could only change the angle of the shoot and my camera setting as surprise as it sounds, this photo was not sharpened, I modified a little bit in LR for contrast and color theme ^^ as I said, the PP is kept minimal in this one. A heavy skin retouch in this photo is possible but it'd not suit the theme I aimed : A rough look ! I'll definitely try the smooth style next time (on another model ) Thanks again ^^
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice to see a natural model.
thank you very much
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yes. Not only that, redheads beauties usually have delicate skin, which is thin and tends to dry, but it's glowing like porcelain (kind of envy here ) With red hair and porcelain glowing, omg, I love redheads! When you look at her left side, you see that white porcelain glowing just a bit, there is too much to show! And her amazing hair as well. It's not a critique, but "show us more, lucky redcat"
many thanks, maybe a reflector might reveal some details on her darkside, I'll keep that in mind for my future shots

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 04:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Beautiful pic redcat
thanks a lot

11-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
she is not a model but a girl in the strobe stand, she's there for peopel to test the lighting, this was a one light set-up.
I don't know that strobe stand means, but it sounds like she is not much appreciated by others as a model.
11-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A stand in the "salon de photo" that sells strobe sorry for my Frenchy English ^^ I think she could become a very good pro model, her look is soulful
11-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

So, she is there for testing light gear? That explains her "unfinished" look. Can you grab her for personal sessions?

11-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, she is there for testing light gear? That explains her "unfinished" look. Can you grab her for personal sessions?
exactly, she is there for testing light gear. I didn't ask for her contact though
11-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Well, you always can come back for testing more light gear...
11-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, you always can come back for testing more light gear...
Unfortunately, the Salon de photo was opened just a few days, it's like Photokina for French It's now closed until next year !

11-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very well done!
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thanks a lot for your very informative feedback ! I just have the chance to shoot some photos of her, she is not a model but a girl in the strobe stand, she's there for peopel to test the lighting, this was a one light set-up. I could only change the angle of the shoot and my camera setting as surprise as it sounds, this photo was not sharpened, I modified a little bit in LR for contrast and color theme ^^ as I said, the PP is kept minimal in this one. A heavy skin retouch in this photo is possible but it'd not suit the theme I aimed : A rough look ! I'll definitely try the smooth style next time (on another model ) Thanks again ^^
Firstly I understand now your lighting constrains - I agree that was limiting. The sharpness is probably from too sharp lens - yes there is something like this :P - your limited is fabulous - but at f2.8 probably is already plenty sharp - f14 is overkill I think for portrait work. Finally this rough theme/look doesn't simple work for model/person/beauty like this one - instead of rough you could got for soft or subtle :P with much greater results I reckon. I think this photo is great for post processing contest - if you'd release the DNG file it will attract many great post-processing versions that will suit this model better.

Other than that - amazing subject, nice framing and natural white balance - these I like a lot
11-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if you'd release the DNG file it will attract many great post-processing versions that will suit this model better
oh yeah, it's a very interesting suggestion I'll do that, I'll learn plenty from you guys ^^ thank you very much !
QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Very well done!
thanks a lot

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 08:28 PM ----------

Update :
manntax: I posted the raw file in this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...ml#post3035053 if you've got some free time, please do some pp thank you so much !

Last edited by redcat; 11-21-2014 at 12:29 PM.
11-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #26

i agree with the natural look really bringing out this photo! love it.
11-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Update : manntax: I posted the raw file in this thread : HELP : Post-processing needed for this photo if you've got some free time, please do some pp thank you so much !
great - thanks for an invite , I will definitely give it a go - just watch ! there should be plenty of real masters soon willing to help
11-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmerchant Quote
i agree with the natural look really bringing out this photo! love it.
thanks, I've seen your photos on flickr, those are very nice too
great - thanks for an invite , I will definitely give it a go - just watch ! there should be plenty of real masters soon willing to help
super cool, I'm really excited here
11-21-2014, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a lovely model and a great shot.
11-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That is a great portrait. Well done!