Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
It's New and It's Blue
Posted By: Sailor, 11-30-2014, 09:57 PM

Prior to the sale of our beloved sailboat, Cut Time, Connie and I decided that we would enter the world of "back road motoring" and touring, in which (like sailing) getting there is at least half the fun and that would flange nicely with my photographic interests. Consequently, we began a search for a car that could serve as my daily driver (usable back seat, meaningful trunk) yet be entertaining on the highways and byways that we intend to explore. A daughter of a daredevil mechanic, Connie grew up racing go-karts and drag racing her personal cars at various sanctioned strips around southern Illinois. She is an excellent driver who can wring the fun out of a car better than I can.

While I adore my Boxster S, it's not a car that suits Connie's vision for touring, since it has a manual tranny which she detests (although she's thoroughly adept at using it) and emits a delicious but intrusive noise she has little interest in hearing for hours at a time. My little black BMW 135i is (was ) great for jumping around town, but it has a very harsh, busy ride that's unappealing for a multi-day jaunt around the country, and Connie's SUV - useful though it is - would be a crashing bore. I've wrestled with various options, and on Friday I hit upon the idea of a BMW M4 coupe: real-world usefulness (more-or-less ) combined with 425 HP (406 lb-ft of torque), an aggressive and adjustable suspension, locking diff, an excellent (though expensive) dual-clutch tranny with an automatic mode and a great sound system.

As luck would have it, I located a blue one in Houston which had the options we wanted (and then some ) and would liberate us from the drudgery of white, black, gray, and silver which seem to be the only colors one can find! Besides, I figured if EM has a blue hot rod, I needed one too. , so yesterday I traded the 135i for for the M4, hastily taken pictures of which are attached below.

Jer

Views: 1,854
12-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Your theory does make sense really. I had a Subaru wrx sti before the m3 and it was more a torque builder than a rev happy quick responding engine. It was a much less enjoyable 6 speed than the m3 (which pulls smoothly to 8400rpm)

Would love to hear some feedback after you've had a few drives. And beware the exhaust sounds playing through your radio. Learn how to turnthat off and do it promptly.

« Foggy Sun | *** »