Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Superb Blue Wren
Posted By: RobG, 12-02-2014, 04:17 AM

One of my first photos with both the K3 and DA 1.4 TC on the DA*300. If it looks noisy that's because the camera was set to auto ISO and bumped it up to 3200 ISO! Hand held, so perhaps not as steady as it could have been, but I'm still impressed with the result. So far I am really happy with the AF and the image results from the K3 and this lens combination.

Views: 1,646
12-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice shots, Craig. Wow, that bokeh is busy though! You might need to try a different f-stop.

Not as nice as yours though.

AS for the f-stop, it was the only one I had

Next time I'm taking a seat and a tripod

12-04-2014, 03:20 AM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Des, here's another shot of the same bird I originally posted, with noise reduction by DxO Pro Optics 9. I must say I'm impressed. I'll probably have to figure out how to use the program properly!
Well done Rob. Stellar image.

It's a great program isn't it? If only they'd support more K-mount lenses, starting with the new TC.

You can think in terms of higher ISO now! Faster shutter speeds and/or narrower apertures, more scope in low light. And with all those K-3 pixels to play with! Think how far we have come with digital photography in the last 10-15 years.
12-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Not as nice as yours though. AS for the f-stop, it was the only one I had
Thanks, but ouch! I haven't been stuck with one f-stop since I stopped using the mirror lens. Mind you I'm thinking of trying it our again with the K3. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment?

QuoteQuote:
Next time I'm taking a seat and a tripod
Sounds like a plan! Hopefully mine is on the way. I'll have to check that order!
12-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

What a fantastic blue color those birds have, nice shots.

12-04-2014, 04:12 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Well done Rob. Stellar image. It's a great program isn't it? If only they'd support more K-mount lenses, starting with the new TC.
You can think in terms of higher ISO now! Faster shutter speeds and/or narrower apertures, more scope in low light. And with all those K-3 pixels to play with! Think how far we have come with digital photography in the last 10-15 years.
Thanks! Funny you mention that time span. In 2002, I worked in Japan and considered buying more lenses for my MZ-5, but I ended up buying a Sony digital video camera. So my first digital camera was actually a video camera, not a compact or DSLR. Actually, I'm confused because I swear I saw the *IST D on sale in Japan in 2002 but all the information online says that it wasn't released until 2003. Yes, digital photography has come a long way; the image below is a still from the video camera in 2002. The resolution was 1360x1020, but it needed to be scaled down to reduce the noise a bit. I didn't get a DSLR until the K200D, so I was still shooting 35mm film for a long time. Most of my photos from 2002 were from the MZ5 on Fujichrome 100F.

12-04-2014, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's interesting. There must have been people writing pieces about how still photography was doomed and video was the only way forward.

In 2002 I was still using the Canon AE-! Progam SLR that I bought in 1984.

In fact I only got my first DSLR (a K100D Super) in 2007 when the AE-1 died. So for me, it's been a revolution over just 7 years. I'm still astonished at being able to pull out detail from a seriously underexposed RAW file.
12-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, but ouch! I haven't been stuck with one f-stop since I stopped using the mirror lens.
Ok, to be honest I wasn't really 'stuck'. More lazy/tired having carried the 3kg combo over 3km on what in Melbourne passes as a very humid day, I just wanted to go home.

I should have used a higher ISO but coming from the K-x.....

I shall try again. Nearest parking is 1km away and the next non overcast day is at least a week away.

12-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I admire your determination Craig. I've only carried my 170-500 (which weighs a "mere" 1.3kg) on a walk a couple of times, and the Bigma weighs another 600g.
12-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's interesting. There must have been people writing pieces about how still photography was doomed and video was the only way forward. In 2002 I was still using the Canon AE-! Progam SLR that I bought in 1984.
In fact I only got my first DSLR (a K100D Super) in 2007 when the AE-1 died. So for me, it's been a revolution over just 7 years. I'm still astonished at being able to pull out detail from a seriously underexposed RAW file.
You could do the same thing with colour negatives but it was harder. I don't recall people writing about the doom of still photography, but they were already writing about the doom of film. I am very glad I bought the video camera because it was able to capture a different aspect of my time in Japan.

Ok, to be honest I wasn't really 'stuck'. More lazy/tired having carried the 3kg combo over 3km on what in Melbourne passes as a very humid day, I just wanted to go home. I should have used a higher ISO but coming from the K-x..... I shall try again. Nearest parking is 1km away and the next non overcast day is at least a week away.
I hear you! These photos of the Wren were at high ISO because it was very late afternoon and deep shade.
12-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn, just weighed the tripod. 4.2kg! (Manfrotto 055)

Add that to the K3/Bigma @ 2.9kg
and a seat @ 1kg

8.1Kg (17.8lbs).

I wish these wrens would come to me instead.
12-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
8.1Kg (17.8lbs).
I wish these wrens would come to me instead.
Yikes! If only it was that easy.
12-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, after two hours out with the mad dogs and englishmen I managed to get this:

12-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, after two hours out with the mad dogs and englishmen I managed to get this:
Very nice! Maybe you should try the morning sun instead of the midday sun?
12-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done Craig. The effort was worth it. And you are saving on gym fees.

Not keen on the bokeh from the Bigma - it might be described as nervous. I guess it must be at least partly due to haze.
12-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice! Maybe you should try the morning sun instead of the midday sun?
That was the plan but there wasn't any.

Well done Craig. The effort was worth it. And you are saving on gym fees.

Not keen on the bokeh from the Bigma - it might be described as nervous. I guess it must be at least partly due to haze.
I wimped out and didn't take the seat (or the Q, too heavy).

The bokeh is a bit of a puzzle, wasn't as obvious on the K-x as it is on the K3. I vill haff to ecksperriment some.