Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock...
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Jaco, Costa Rica ISO: 50 
Posted By: daacon, 12-02-2014, 07:11 AM

....from the safety of a bridge .... We were hopping and bopping to the Crocodile Rock. Taken on the way to Jayco. There was a little hut there where you can get a drink and some snacks. Some of the most aggressive 'salesmen' ' I have ever seen. The spot is on the highway and is of course popular for tourists to stop and see the Crocodiles. We had people chase us to buy souvenirs, a drink (best Pina Colada in Costa Rica I guarantee ! Buy Something ) literally chasing us as we drove away

It was site to see , whish I had a longer lens and if we had more time (I had 3 other non photographers with me) I might have ventured down to the river bed. Perhaps it's a good thing I didn't get that chance

Other than pure size evolution has pretty much left these beasts alone. So primitive looking.

click on image twice for larger view

Views: 889
12-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice series indeed ! I like the last shot best thanks to the environmental context for these beasts ..
12-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
from the safety of a bridge
That's close enough for me too, I understand they can get a fair lick on at the prospect of dinner.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Other than pure size evolution has pretty much left these beasts alone
Aye, cos nature got it right first time with this king of predators.
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That doesn't look like a good place to have a picnic Dave and I think I'd use a 500mm for these guys.

12-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
NKK
Inactive Account

Scary looking fellas
Nice to be in safe distance from them
12-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots of these beasts, old buddy. Perhaps they are searching for Captain Hook. These guys look more ominous than the gators we see around here.

Jer
12-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Nice series indeed ! I like the last shot best thanks to the environmental context for these beasts ..
Thanks manntax that's the most I have ever seen in the wild for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's close enough for me too, I understand they can get a fair lick on at the prospect of dinner.
Aye, cos nature got it right first time with this king of predators.
Thanks Kerrowdown indeed hard to improve on that design.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
That doesn't look like a good place to have a picnic Dave and I think I'd use a 500mm for these guys.
Thanks Bob there was a time when I traveled I took everything - 10 lenses 20-30kg of camera back pack. Over the years I have learned to live with much less. While the 500 would have been great here, compromises have to be made for airline travel. I now have one smaller back back that hold 3 lenses and my computer.

QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
Scary looking fellas
Nice to be in safe distance from them
They are indeed carnivors would have loved to have a live chicken with me to see who was hungry

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shots of these beasts, old buddy. Perhaps they are searching for Captain Hook. These guys look more ominous than the gators we see around here.
Jer
haha Thanks Jer - I did not here of any clocks ticking then again I was a ways away.