Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Alexa (Film & Digital)
Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 50 
Posted By: alan_smithee_photos, 12-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Yet another person who reached out via Instagram to take photos. Although she'd never modeled before (said it was on her "bucket list"), Alexa was super cool to work with. She's also a fellow camera nerd, so it was fun to break out all the different cameras, film, and lenses.

I think I'm in the clear not flagging this thread as nsfw. Although Alexa is technically a girl and there is some skin visible, so who knows.

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II

Nikon F4, Nikkor 50mm 1.4, Lomo 800

K1000, A 50mm 1.7, Ilford Delta 3200 (@1600)

Rolleiflex 3.5, Portra 400

Views: 3,050
12-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am getting used to see those amazing series of mix digital and film shooting from you Keep them coming and thanks for not labelling this one as NSFW
I have to say that for me Lomo 800 shots with Nikon are clear winner ! !! Portra 400 - amazing dynamic range - well exposed shots in tricky conditions - both aren't surprising really

K5 came out slightly less impressive to me - still fine shots but they don't cut it as film did.. on this occasion let me add - just to calm down digital nerds ;-)

thanks for sharing
12-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I am getting used to see those amazing series of mix digital and film shooting from you Keep them coming and thanks for not labelling this one as NSFW
I have to say that for me Lomo 800 shots with Nikon are clear winner ! !! Portra 400 - amazing dynamic range - well exposed shots in tricky conditions - both aren't surprising really

K5 came out slightly less impressive to me - still fine shots but they don't cut it as film did.. on this occasion let me add - just to calm down digital nerds ;-)

thanks for sharing
Thx! Yeah, I nearly always gravitate more to the film images than the digital ones. I probably (definitely) could've played around with the digital ones in post more, but I sorta like the comparison pretty much straight out of the camera.
12-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice shots. Always look forward to your experiments. Did you ever try VSCO film emulation?

12-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-5 II shot with Alexa on the floor with the gold spot on her cheek is a wonderful shot!
Tell her she has an incredible poise and presence. Very nice work for both of you!
12-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A really nice series. I love her expression in #1 and i'll aggree that the picture of her lying on the floor with the wonderful light is a winner. Very well done!
12-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great work, Alan, once again, and thanks for sharing these. I have to say that, for a first-time model, Alexa seems to be a "natural".

The differences in outcome between media and lenses, also again, are a constant source of fascination to me. The colouring of the Voigtlander series is starkly different to the others, as are the various film media, but I make no judgment about preferences because they are all valid, and set slightly different moods in each case. You are both to be congratulated.

12-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Another good looking lassie, captured well by you.

Is the same venue that you've used for your other photoshoots, what is it? it looks like unused industrial premises.
12-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx all!

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
Did you ever try VSCO film emulation?
I have, and I like some of them pretty well. The ones I get the most use out of, though, are from an old set of X-Equals presets that I've been using forever. I think most of them are in one of the bundles you can still get here: Lightroom Presets | X-Equals - Click. Download. Smile..

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Is the same venue that you've used for your other photoshoots, what is it? it looks like unused industrial premises.
Yup, it's my go-to indoor location. No, nothing so romantic (or sketchy) as an unused industrial site. It's an old National Guard armory building, now converted into, among other things, a school, and some rehearsal spaces owned by a local theater/performing arts group. They have several rehearsal spaces, all of which feature big ol' windows that let in lots of lovely, Vermeer-grade light.

Yes, I think Alexa did a great job, plus she was just plain fun to shoot with. Not to mention that she's a Washington native, like me!