Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Flower and bug
Lens: Ricoh 50mm 1:2.8 Camera: K-7 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 12-05-2014, 05:46 PM

I was just trying out a new macro setup comprising the K-7, a Ricoh 50mm reversed on a set of extension rings and a home made diffuser on the built in flash. After many handheld shots on a variety of flowers, struggling to find focus, I finally got one that looked ok in camera. Taking it inside I was delighted to spot this tiny creature inside the flower. I had no idea it was there.

The flower is "Convolvus Sabatius" according to the label and I have no idea what the creature is. A spider perhaps? The flower is about 20mm in diameter so the beast is extremely tiny.

Views: 714
12-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice capture and good DOF for that setup.
12-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that's really getting down there Bruce, beautiful capture, time well spent I would say.
12-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Talk about "up close & personal!" Looks like your new macro setup is a real success! Can't see your flower's little friend well enough to be sure, but perhaps some species of mite??

12-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Talk about "up close & personal!" Looks like your new macro setup is a real success! Can't see your flower's little friend well enough to be sure, but perhaps some species of mite??
Thanks, It could well be a mite of some sort. It is bit windy out there today but if the weather clears I will have another go at it. Now that I know he is in there I may be able to target him a bit better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
that's really getting down there Bruce, beautiful capture, time well spent I would say.
Thanks Bob. It is amazing what you can find if you look close enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Nice capture and good DOF for that setup.
Thanks for you kind words. That flower is in a hanging basket and it was a bit hit and miss getting any sort of focus at all. With a bit more experimentation, I hope to refine the technique a little more.