Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Painterly Red Gum
Camera: K-7 ISO: 50 
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 12-06-2014, 01:06 PM

I have been working on various presentations of this image on and off for a while. Having recently acquired Topaz Impressions as part of the recent deal, I thought to give it a try and see if it could imitate some of the traditional Australian watercolours.

Views: 977
12-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those red gums have so much character -- my wife and I enjoyed seeing them on our trip to Victoria some years ago. I wouldn't say the "brushwork" resembles watercolor but it is certainly convincing as a "painting". Although the sky doesn't give the software as much to work with, so is less convincing (and also has those white dots).
12-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

Very nice rendition.
I think that if you apply some sharpening, it would accentuate the look of brush strokes.
12-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Bruce

I adore this picture and it is true gum trees are so very photogenic. Hans Heysen recognized this and made a carrier painting them.

Your picture of course is open to many experiments all of which, when applied with care, can give this image different an meaningful appeal.

I couldn't stop myself experimenting with it and I hope you will not be upset with me if I attaching still another version of it. I have gone the other way and softened it. I attach this in part to make you aware of another software with which you can manipulate such pictures. It is called Oloneo PhotoEngine.

Greetings

P.S.
If you don't mind it would be nice and generous of you if you could post the original and invite others to put up their version of it. Because this picture is really worth it.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-19-2014 at 11:52 PM.
12-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all who have commented on this.I really appreciate your thoughts. As Schraubstock has suggested, I will attach the original for anyone to have a go at.

Personally I liked the look of this tree as soon as soon as I saw it one summers day in the Flinders Ranges of South Australia. Sadly it was mid afternoon with very harsh sunlight. Yet I felt the balance of this tree and the lighting on the outer leaves was worthy of some extra work. I spent a lot of time with Topaz Remask in an endeavour to replace the rather boring sky to no avail, it was just to complex for me. I also felt the lighting was too harsh and this is what lead me to the idea of a painterly effect. I appreciate that any number of interpretations may be made, so here is a resized JPEG from the original PEF file. - Go for it