Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Don't Take Pictures In Barnes & Noble
Posted By: Damn Brit, 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM

So I took the FA 50 1.4 out for the first time. I went to B&N to buy an Elements6 book. I managed to take two shots before a member of staff came running up to me.
M.O.S: Have you been taking pictures?
Me: Yes is there a problem?
M.O.S: We don't allow picture taking in here for copyright reasons.
Me: I don't believe that's the reason.
M.O.S: We don't allow blah blah blah because of the other customers.
Me: I don't believe that either, this is private property, try saying "We don't allow picture taking".
M.O.S: We don't allow picture taking.
Me. Ok, sorry I didn't realize.

I really hate it when people who are obviously in the right feel they have to justify themselves by telling lies.

Here's the pics, nothing special, no PP just a crop on the first one, very impressed with the lens though:

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Views: 7,607
05-23-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thank you J. Scott. What are you doing up then eh?
Gary
I'm an anomaly - the dreaded 'early riser'.

05-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #17
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
... check the time of day - North America isn't out of bed yet....

I say take pictures until they toss you out. It is all sadly related to the aftermath of the 9/11 attack. We're all going to pay for along time to come for the selfish and criminal acts of a handful of people.
some of us do get up fairly early for this side of the world. Especially difficult when the indoor soccer (football) league schedules your game for the evening fairly close to midnight. It's hard to sleep after that much exercise.

I see your point on the explanation thing but understand why she did it. Probably most people are wanting to know why this or why that. I get it at work (public library) all the time. When I tell people no they can't do something they want to know why, who says, and where is it written that this is so. It's most annoying. There are personality types that think any sort of behavior is allowable if there is not a sign prohibiting said behavior, and lots of official forms and regulations to back up the sign. Louts.

But now we all know what Mrs. DB looks like!
05-23-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
Banned

even on private property as far as I understand that unless there is a visible sign strictly prohibiting photography, its not illegal and at that point all they can do is either tell you to stop or tell you to leave. I had a guy who owned a car wash/oil change place and I was with a friend taking some pictures while she was washing her car and as I was standing there composing a shot (with a K1000) the owner walks up behind me and says "what are you doing?' 'taking pictures' 'well we don't allow that' 'you have a sign?' 'no' 'then yes you do,' he didn't like that very much.
05-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
even on private property as far as I understand that unless there is a visible sign strictly prohibiting photography, its not illegal and at that point all they can do is either tell you to stop or tell you to leave. I had a guy who owned a car wash/oil change place and I was with a friend taking some pictures while she was washing her car and as I was standing there composing a shot (with a K1000) the owner walks up behind me and says "what are you doing?' 'taking pictures' 'well we don't allow that' 'you have a sign?' 'no' 'then yes you do,' he didn't like that very much.
hah., nice one i mostly get told off when im taking photographs of trains and rail yards or on the platforms on the underground city system. i had security arrest me on one occasion. i just complied with them and everything sorted itself out. it was because of all that terrorism bullshit. in this day and age ... you have to assume the worse tho.. if you assume anything less.. it leaves the door open for all sorts of possible worse case scenario's. its a scary world we live in these days.. its pathetic and sad but at the same time.. its reality!.

Last edited by distorted_vision; 05-23-2008 at 05:51 AM.
05-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

As long as you are on public property you can take pictures of anything that is displayed within the public domain. If you are on private property the owners can limit photography if it is clearly displayed on a posted sign or if the actual owner of the property asks you to stop. Here is a link to a "Legal Photographer's Guide" put together by a lawyer in the US:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

His website also has similar pamphlets for UK and AUS.

If you read to the end of the pamphlet you'll see that in true lawyer fashion he writes a disclaimer

Last edited by MrApollinax; 05-23-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: comment on the dislaimer
05-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm an anomaly - the dreaded 'early riser'.
You ain't the only one but I don't consider it a dread.

DB...your better hald is full of smiles so, how come you're so serious all the time eh! Ooops I better say LOL right!
05-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Lucky the SWAT team wasn't called in

Shopper terrorist LOL

cheers

05-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Lucky the SWAT team wasn't called in

Shopper terrorist LOL

cheers
that wouldnt surprise me one bit..:ugh:
05-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yep I take my camera in some Retail shops as well. I took it into a grocery store once and saw a friend of mine. I started taking pictures as he was at the till. The young cashier asked why I was taking pictures of him - he said don't you recognize me I am Jarmone Igilna ! (Captain of the Calgary Flames NHL hockey team)

I have had the police call me as someone out in the country (where I was taking sunrise shots with the Bigma) figured I was casing some houses, I have had a grrenhouse owner come ask me waht I doing (he was very good once I explained I just got a new lens and just wanted some shots with color he was cool with that but suggested I ask next time). In an airport I have my Bimga taken out and examined like it was a WOMD .... I think a lot of us have similiar stories.

All part and parcel of being an RSP (Random Sh#T Photographer)
05-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Just this week I was in one of those outdoor shopping centers (think of an outlet mall type deal) And the security told me I couldn't take photographs because they were afraid people are trying to steal their architecture design. Was this right of them to say? are the roads in the outdoor shopping center considered private too?
05-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Just this week I was in one of those outdoor shopping centers (think of an outlet mall type deal) And the security told me I couldn't take photographs because they were afraid people are trying to steal their architecture design. Was this right of them to say? are the roads in the outdoor shopping center considered private too?
That's kind of really funny considering their architectural design is sitting right out there for all the world to see.
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteQuote:
and the security told me I couldn't take photographs because they were afraid people are trying to steal their architecture design.
that was nothing more than an ignorant security guard trying to feel important. that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. and NO its not illegal, unless as previously said that there is a sign posted or you are told to stop. the fact is photographers (unless you are a press photog with the badge around your neck) are treated like criminals that are out to do harm to people. such is a post 9/11 america. thanks bin laden for amping peoples stupidity....

Last edited by séamuis; 05-23-2008 at 11:36 AM.
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
This was the subject of a USA Today article in the past. You will need to find out if the outdoor mall is actually private property or not. If it is on private property then they can prevent you from taking pictures. If it is something like 3rd Street Promenade in Los Angeles then it is a public street that has been closed and meant for foot traffic only. If that is the case then they cannot prevent you from doing anything.

my google-fu found this article:

Marc Fisher - Public or Private Space? Line Blurs in Silver Spring - washingtonpost.com

Not the one I am thinking of but similar.
05-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Pete,
Please don't take this the wrong way. B&N might survive that attude, but a small business wouldn't be around very long if they where not polite to their customers. Even large companies give customer relation training to their employees. Good experiences are seldom repeated, bad experiences are repeat many times over. I actually think that this policy is the result of the terrorism threat.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I mean what was the point of you taking photos in their shop ?

If you came to my shop and started taking random pics
I wouldn't waste my breath on any explanations
apart from the direction of the door and the location of security.

Pete
05-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
That's kind of really funny considering their architectural design is sitting right out there for all the world to see.
I read somewhere there's a place in Belgium with copyrighted architecture, so if you shoot it, you're in trouble. I guess all architecture's copyright, more or less, but I think the designer of the building made a big deal out of it, so people would know.

Only time I ever got in trouble was taking a photo of a shop front, outside. The sales person actually left the store, walked thirty feet over to me, and told me, "Excuse me, you can't take photos of our shop."

I got in a minor argument over it. I kept the shot, she left peeved. In retrospect, I merely wish I'd listened to her tell me not to take photos, paused a good thirty seconds, either lit a cigarette and blew smoke in her face or opened a can of drink and drank then burped loudly, looked over her shoulder, nodded in the direction of the store and said, "That lady just walked out of your shop with a skirt."

She had no real recourse, just huffed and left, after I said I was doing nothing wrong. I watched has she picked up the phone and spoke, casting furtive glances in my direction. Nothing happened.

I did ask one shopkeeper about this - they're more concerned about competitors stealing their shop front display designs.