Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Don't Take Pictures In Barnes & Noble
Posted By: Damn Brit, 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM

So I took the FA 50 1.4 out for the first time. I went to B&N to buy an Elements6 book. I managed to take two shots before a member of staff came running up to me.
M.O.S: Have you been taking pictures?
Me: Yes is there a problem?
M.O.S: We don't allow picture taking in here for copyright reasons.
Me: I don't believe that's the reason.
M.O.S: We don't allow blah blah blah because of the other customers.
Me: I don't believe that either, this is private property, try saying "We don't allow picture taking".
M.O.S: We don't allow picture taking.
Me. Ok, sorry I didn't realize.

I really hate it when people who are obviously in the right feel they have to justify themselves by telling lies.

Here's the pics, nothing special, no PP just a crop on the first one, very impressed with the lens though:

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Views: 7,590
05-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

DB...your better hald is full of smiles so, how come you're so serious all the time eh! Ooops I better say LOL right!
We are Yin and Yang.
Gary

05-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

At least in the US if you take photos, even with a posted sign you aren't breaking any laws. (Aside from stuff like military buildings, etc) The store owners sole remedy is kicking you out and having you arrested for trespassing if you come back. This assumes the basic rules for not photographing things that have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

They also can't take your equipment, or make you delete photos without a court order. Even the police.

Of course its easier just to play nice and comply with their wishes. But otherwise how do you think undercover photojournalism gets done. Newspaper photographers dont' have any more rights. They just know what they are and won't let some flunky intimidate them.
05-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

yes, many chain retail outlets are wary of photographers. Design 'theft' is rampant as competition is intense and middle management publish manuals listing code of conduct rules for each store / franchise outlet regarding such things as photographs, interviews, etc.

Also, many photography agencies, Pentax gallery included, reject photos of identifiable commercial buildings for same reason: potential copyright infringement.
05-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Yep I take my camera in some Retail shops as well. I took it into a grocery store once and saw a friend of mine. I started taking pictures as he was at the till. The young cashier asked why I was taking pictures of him - he said don't you recognize me I am Jarmone Igilna ! (Captain of the Calgary Flames NHL hockey team)

I have had the police call me as someone out in the country (where I was taking sunrise shots with the Bigma) figured I was casing some houses, I have had a grrenhouse owner come ask me waht I doing (he was very good once I explained I just got a new lens and just wanted some shots with color he was cool with that but suggested I ask next time). In an airport I have my Bimga taken out and examined like it was a WOMD .... I think a lot of us have similiar stories.

All part and parcel of being an RSP (Random Sh#T Photographer)

If someone didnt know what a Bigma was they would think it was a WOMD

LOL

cheers

05-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This isn't going to turn into a Kiwi Aussie thing is it?
Don't be surprised Brit. We love backing the underdog
05-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Don't be surprised Brit. We love backing the underdog
Thanks Mate, but us Canucks can hold our own with the best of 'em, just nobody realizes it until it's too late
Gary
05-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It started way before 911. Years ago dad and I were in a fancy mall with glass domed ceiling. He was shooting a 35mm slr and I had my Minox B spy camera. Security guard runs up to tell dad he can't take pictures in the mall. As he was being lectured I was 6 ft away taking pics thru the whole thing. Security guard never even figured out I had a camera. Dad was watching and trying to not bust out laughing.

One night we are out shooting available light shots of the concrete plant when a pickup truck stopped to inform us we couldn't take pics of that. Dad listened a few seconds and told the men "if I wanted to steal your secrets I have a lens big enough to do it half a mile away and you would never know it". "If I were stealing secrets that is what I would do instead of standing out here in the open". They drove off.
thanks
barondla

Enter POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #7 in the P&S forum. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.

05-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #38
Damn Brit

Good story Barondla.
Gary
05-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This isn't going to turn into a Kiwi Aussie thing is it?
we're all ANZACs down here Mate

Pete
05-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #40
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
we're all ANZACs down here Mate

Pete
Well said Pete.

Gary
05-27-2008, 03:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

ANZAC??? I assume the "A" is Australian, and the "NZ" is New Zeland, but drawing a blank on the rest of it.
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
ANZAC??? I assume the "A" is Australian, and the "NZ" is New Zealand, but drawing a blank on the rest of it.
According to wikipedia, the "AC" is "Army Corps"

ANZAC Day and Memorial Day are both days of remembrance and tribute to the fallen , I salute them all.

Jim
05-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #43
Veteran Member

OK. When I worked in the Pentagon, there was a corridor there called the ANZUS Corridor (A = Australian, NZ = New Zeland, and US = the US), and I thought it might be something like this.
10-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #44
Pentaxian

In NZ you can shoot public architecture for your private pleasure without any problem but if you e.g., print T-shirts with some design on them and start selling them, then you are breaching copyright laws.
10-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #45
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In NZ you can shoot public architecture for your private pleasure without any problem but if you e.g., print T-shirts with some design on them and start selling them, then you are breaching copyright laws.
This thread is an old one, I'd forgotten about it.