Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Don't Take Pictures In Barnes & Noble
Posted By: Damn Brit, 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM

So I took the FA 50 1.4 out for the first time. I went to B&N to buy an Elements6 book. I managed to take two shots before a member of staff came running up to me.
M.O.S: Have you been taking pictures?
Me: Yes is there a problem?
M.O.S: We don't allow picture taking in here for copyright reasons.
Me: I don't believe that's the reason.
M.O.S: We don't allow blah blah blah because of the other customers.
Me: I don't believe that either, this is private property, try saying "We don't allow picture taking".
M.O.S: We don't allow picture taking.
Me. Ok, sorry I didn't realize.

I really hate it when people who are obviously in the right feel they have to justify themselves by telling lies.

Here's the pics, nothing special, no PP just a crop on the first one, very impressed with the lens though:

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Views: 7,210
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you realize I you have reproduced and distributed the artwork of the covers of hundreds of books, potentially setting yourself up for a massive class action lawsuit putting all these publishers against your little ol' self...
05-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I'm pretty sure that Hemingway is out of copyright now and all the others are blurred.
Just in case though:
"Is there a lawyer on the forum?
05-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty pointless DB ?
Trap some poor shop assistant into a pedantic game
How does this help photographers image in public ?

Pete

05-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Pretty pointless DB ?
Trap some poor shop assistant into a pedantic game
How does this help photographers image in public ?

Pete
Pete,
It wasn't pointless, I was polite, I just wanted the real reason for them not wanting me to take pictures. she was actually a supervisor (should have made that clear) and she was fine about it. No damage done to photographers image.
You shouldn't be so judgmental.
Gary
05-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I mean what was the point of you taking photos in their shop ?

If you came to my shop and started taking random pics
I wouldn't waste my breath on any explanations
apart from the direction of the door and the location of security.

Pete
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Damn Brit

I mean what was the point of you taking photos in their shop ?

If you came to my shop and started taking random pics
I wouldn't waste my breath on any explanations
apart from the direction of the door and the location of security.

Pete
I had taken the camera with the intention of taking some street shots but as it happens we went straight from the parking lot in to the store. To be honest I didn't even think about whether I should have taken any shots in there, I just wanted to see how the lens was. The girl on the escalator was my wife and in the other shot, everyone had their back to me if you look. I just wish the girl had said straight out that they didn't allow photography in there. Right was on her side and she didn't need to say anything else.
Gary

05-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

mate, ive been kiked out of so many locations when armed with my pentax. it does not phase me tho.. if i see a picture opportunitie, i will go for it 9 times out of 10. at the same time, i usually take my rangefinder camera if i want to shoot discreetly in public areas. street photography is my favourite medium, so naturally,having the ability to shoot discreetly without offending or making others intimidated is something that takes a lot of practice.. i would never make myself look too obvious and if i do, i make sure i leave the area swiftly..

ps- was there any visable signage stating that there was to be 'NO CAMERAS ALLOWED IN STORE' .. if there wasnt... you where mearly assuming 50/50.. and in situations like this... life is to short to take the boring option... i know what i would have done... u take a picture, u get away with it or you dont.. end of the day, photography is about evolving youre own style and the more pics you take the better,,
05-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

fair enough Mate
World probably needs characters who want decent explanations from them in charge !

Pete
05-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by distorted_vision Quote
mate, ive been kiked out of so many locations when armed with my pentax. it does not phase me tho.. if i see a picture opportunitie, i will go for it 9 times out of 10. at the same time, i usually take my rangefinder camera if i want to shoot discreetly in public areas. street photography is my favourite medium, so naturally,having the ability to shoot discreetly without offending or making others intimidated is something that takes a lot of practice.. i would never make myself look too obvious and if i do, i make sure i leave the area swiftly..

ps- was there any visable signage stating that there was to be 'NO CAMERAS ALLOWED IN STORE' .. if there wasnt... you where mearly assuming 50/50.. and in situations like this... life is to short to take the boring option... i know what i would have done... u take a picture, u get away with it or you dont.. end of the day, photography is about evolving youre own style and the more pics you take the better,,
No there weren't any signs but you know, after 9/11 anyone with a big camera is a suspect. Thanks for your take on things.
Gary

fair enough Mate
World probably needs characters who want decent explanations from them in charge !

Pete
Glad we were able to resolve our tete a tete Pete. I was just about to put you on my ignore list.LOL
Gary
05-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Glad we were able to resolve our tete a tete Pete. I was just about to put you on my ignore list.LOL
Gary
Good grief yes !
I don't think I've ever been ignore listed but how would I know

Pete
05-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Go the Damn Brit!
05-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Go the Damn Brit!
This isn't going to turn into a Kiwi Aussie thing is it?
05-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This isn't going to turn into a Kiwi Aussie thing is it?
... check the time of day - North America isn't out of bed yet....

I say take pictures until they toss you out. It is all sadly related to the aftermath of the 9/11 attack. We're all going to pay for along time to come for the selfish and criminal acts of a handful of people.
05-23-2008, 03:18 AM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
... check the time of day - North America isn't out of bed yet....

I say take pictures until they toss you out. It is all sadly related to the aftermath of the 9/11 attack. We're all going to pay for along time to come for the selfish and criminal acts of a handful of people.
Thank you J. Scott. What are you doing up then eh?
Gary