Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Test still
Lens: Schneider 135/235 Camera: Graflex Speed 4x5 Photo Location: Grand Coulee, WA ISO: 64 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: 45 Mike, 12-08-2014, 10:07 PM

I got the expired Vericolor III daylight short 4x5 fairly dialed in. The box says it is ASA 160, but it seems to prefer ISO 64 and 32.
The shot at ISO 32 was actually nicer exposed, but the negative got scratched, or the emulsion was just bad, with colored lines across it.
My scanner only scans 2.7" wide, so the scan crops about a third of the image out. Untouched except for scale.

Natural light, no flash and a single overhead house bulb.
Views: 961
12-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hello
Colors are beautiful and typical of large format!
I also have a graflex since a few time
What scanner do you use?
I have an Epson V500 and i scanned my 4x5 negs n two times, reporting the parameter from the first half on the second and then merging both in photoshop. It works quite well with good sharpness.
I now have a 4990 (older) easier to use (two negs at a time) but not so sharp as with the previeous method.
12-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DenisG Quote
Hello
Colors are beautiful and typical of large format!
I also have a graflex since a few time
What scanner do you use?
I have an Epson V500 and i scanned my 4x5 negs n two times, reporting the parameter from the first half on the second and then merging both in photoshop. It works quite well with good sharpness.
I now have a 4990 (older) easier to use (two negs at a time) but not so sharp as with the previeous method.
I have a V500 also. I am looking at getting a different scanner. I may try stitching, but generally I will use paper negatives and a flatbed scanner works fine for that.
12-09-2014, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw the title "Test Still" and was going to reply "I'll drink to that!" I guess I misunderstood.

As to the picture, I rather like the flat lighting and muted colors on this.

12-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
Forum Member

45Mike: test Stitching you will see it is quite easy and you get all the possibilities of lighroom to post process your neg after
12-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DenisG Quote
45Mike: test Stitching you will see it is quite easy and you get all the possibilities of lighroom to post process your neg after
Ahh, well that is the problem, I cannot use Lightroom, I cannot use Photoshop, I cannot use the editor that comes with my K-30 and I cannot use the scanner software or editor that comes with the scanner.

I don't use Windows, and I don't use Mac. I use Linux and the scanner program is VueScan, and my editor is GIMP.
I think there is a plugin for stitching, but I have not tried it, however what i have read of it is that it is not a trivial thing that automates the process.

I am fairly unconvinced that I would prefer stitching to scanning the whole negative with an appropriate scanner.
12-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Ahh, well that is the problem, I cannot use Lightroom, I cannot use Photoshop, I cannot use the editor that comes with my K-30 and I cannot use the scanner software or editor that comes with the scanner.

I don't use Windows, and I don't use Mac. I use Linux and the scanner program is VueScan, and my editor is GIMP.
I think there is a plugin for stitching, but I have not tried it, however what i have read of it is that it is not a trivial thing that automates the process.

I am fairly unconvinced that I would prefer stitching to scanning the whole negative with an appropriate scanner.
If you installed WINE (Windows Emulator) on your linux setup you would be able to run your windows programs through the emulator.

12-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Forum Member

buy an old scanner as I wanted to scan my 4x5 and 8x10 easily I found an old epson 4990.
Happily it works with vuescan (I also have it) but not anymore with silverfast and Epson scan (maybe a problem of driver installation?).
My own was quite cheap.