Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
When Pictures aren't great -- Go for Humor!
Posted By: cputeq, 05-23-2008, 04:49 PM

This past Thursday our base had a "sports day", where each squadron could register a single team for various events like bowling, flag football, tug-o-war, relay racing, dodgeball, basketball.

I managed to get away from the grindstone and take the rental FA50mm on its last day along with my kit lens. Unforunately I didn't bring the Tamron 70-300.

Anyway, none of the pictures were really spectacular from an artistic or technical standpoint, but it's cool how you find some goofy poses as you scroll through 250 or so images

A quick "demotivational" script download later and here are the results:

(Check the Flickr link for a comment / explanation of what you're looking at on this photo)

Yep, he was wet about 1/2 sec later.

A highlight from my squadron's football team getting annihilated.

People frozen in mid-air...always awesome.

Short explanation -- This guy is actually a pretty funny dude, and is always askin "What you lookin' at, MUG?!". I called out his name with the FA50mm at the ready and captured one of the most unflattering portraits of my collection

Last edited by cputeq; 05-23-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Views: 1,294
05-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

haaha... nice one man... you got some great shots and captions goen' on here.. nice work!!! that 1st one makes me laugh!!!
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love that last one,

I've got to ask how you liked the 50mm?

I wish I could rent the 77mm for next weekend, but it won't happen.
I'll know for Grad Season next year, and see if I can talk them into renting to a Canadian living close to the border.
05-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I love that last one,

I've got to ask how you liked the 50mm?

I wish I could rent the 77mm for next weekend, but it won't happen.
I'll know for Grad Season next year, and see if I can talk them into renting to a Canadian living close to the border.

The FA50mm f/1.4 is a great little lens. It's fast, it's *very* sharp starting at around f/2.4, it's lightweight, etc. Colors are nice (head and shoulders above what my Tamron 70-300 outputs in the same lighting conditions).

As a controlled-conditions portrait lens or extremely bad lighting lens, it's great.

Personally, though, it was a little too restricting for what I shoot. For portraits, I think I would personally go for something in the 70-90mm range, as 50mm is just too close for comfort. 50mm is also just a bit too short to capture candids without alerting the subject of your presence (kids, coworkers, camera-shy people in general).

Also, the issue of manually focusing come into play when I'm working with f/2.0 or below. This is where having a K200D is a bad thing, as my viewfinder is apparently not as good as the K20Ds. Autofocus at these small aperatures is almost completely pointless, as I found many of my f/2.0 or smaller autofocus shots were rejects.

----

So, for me....If someone gave me the lens, I'd be more than happy to use it
But, I'd mostly just use it around the house or when I know I'd need the speed.

I did some heavy soul-searching about whether to buy it or not, but after reading Photozone.de's review of the lens and then comparing resolution numbers against the 50-135 at f/2.8, I figured I'd save myself $200 and avoid purchasing the 50mm and just get the 50-135. Situations where I need faster than f/2.8 are pretty uncommon, and I hate foot zooming anyway

05-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That last one is a very sharp capture that could be a portfolio shot if the background was not so distracting. looks like a real character!
05-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That last one is a very sharp capture that could be a portfolio shot if the background was not so distracting. looks like a real character!
Yeah, the guy's a real character

As far as the background goes - Give me about 15 minutes in Photoshop and I'll say "what background?" Alas, I'm way too lazy for that.
05-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for making my morning coffee so enjoyable.