Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Long walk - lots of photos
Posted By: scott-devon, 05-23-2008, 10:18 PM

I got out for several hours wandering with my camera today. Luckily I managed a few decent shots...

This black bird with a brown head I can't identify...

Anyone???

Got a shot of this butterfly blending into the fallen leaves...

Just liked the colours and composition of this one...

Got a few shots of this Blue Wing Teal..

Not sure what type of duck this one is...

Got a shot of a Northern Shoveller duck...

A redwing blackbird...

And a whole mess of squirrel shots. Seems like they were all over today...

Looks like it will be a good summer for walks...

Views: 2,724
05-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Scott - the squirell shots are great. I also like the redwing blackbird they are hard to get a good shot of being so black (I have tried many a time). Indeed looks like time well spent.
05-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series Scott - the squirell shots are great. I also like the redwing blackbird they are hard to get a good shot of being so black (I have tried many a time). Indeed looks like time well spent.
Thanks Dave, I'm finding the Bigma lens a real handful for long walks. For sure I'm going to have to save up and replace my Ist with a K20 or K200, I think the shake reduction is badly needed with a lens this long.
05-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Squirrels give off a taste of innocence and mischievous

cheers

05-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series of shots Scott. I really like the squirrels in pairs you got. Nice and sharp with very good colours.

SR is really needed with the Bigma. I also replaced the strap for it with a wider padded one from a brief case. I find it much easier to carry and not so tiring. The Sigma strap is OK but not padded or wide/long enough. The longer wide strap allows it to go over the head and one arm to carry and shoot with much more comfortably.
05-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is a very good series. Lots of fun with signs of spring.
05-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice series of images. Busy guy, eh?

The brown headed blackbird you couldn't identify is a male brown headed cowbird. Cowbirds are brood parasites. They do not build nests or raise their young. They destroy the eggs in another species of birds nest, deposit one or more of their own and the young eventually hatch out and are raised by whatever species built the nest.

Not my favorite species of birds. Cuckoo's and some ducks are parasitic too.

Stephen

05-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It looks like you had a good walk Scott. The squirrels are just toooo cute. Thanks for sharing your walk about photos. Bodes well for the longer warmer days to come!
05-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Damn Brit

I like the butterfly Scott, almost but not quite camouflaged, would be hard to see from anything more than a few feet away I would imagine.
Gary
05-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great series Scott. Good sharpness, colours, compositions and exposures. A very productive walk.

Paul