Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A couple of Macros from the last weeks....
Posted By: HogRider, 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM

Here a few macros from the last weeks. All taken with Vivitar 100mm f2.8.
More here: http://wheelgunner.zoto.com/galleries/macrowork

Green Lynx Spider

A Grasshopper

Peekaboo

Texas Sage

Just Waiting

I have more Praying Mantis shots (Close up portraits )coming, but haven't developed them yet from RAW.
Views: 2,710
09-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
#1 is creepy, # 3 is very cool. All very nice. Where so you all find these bugs. I need to look around the yard more. We do have the hopppers and mantis but some of the bugs I see here and other site give me overal the creeps.
09-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #3

Nice pictures, and very nice gallery. I really liked the one with the frozen flower (from the macro gallery).
09-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I love the mantis, but it seems a little flat - was the light less than ideal? The insect seems to blend into the background a little. Or maybe that was your intention. Either way, the composition is great! Those must be really satisfying to photograph, the apparent pupil making it always look like it's staring right at you. Very cool. Wish we had 'em around here. Nice galleries, by the way.

Julie

09-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- the first two are amazing it terms of both color and sharpness!

The second mic makes me jealous, for I never get the change to come that close to an insect They just jump/run away!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I love the mantis, but it seems a little flat - was the light less than ideal? The insect seems to blend into the background a little. Or maybe that was your intention. Either way, the composition is great! Those must be really satisfying to photograph, the apparent pupil making it always look like it's staring right at you. Very cool. Wish we had 'em around here. Nice galleries, by the way.

Julie
Thanks. And yes, you are right on the Mantis shot. The light was miserable. Rather dark shaded area and a white wall as background. I got a few more shots the next day with my ring flash, but I haven't cleaned them up for posting. Will do later.
09-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chilious Quote
Nice pictures, and very nice gallery. I really liked the one with the frozen flower (from the macro gallery).
Thanks. Almost afraid to say, that it was shot with a Nikon F2 or F3 (before I became a Pentaxian).
09-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Wow- the first two are amazing it terms of both color and sharpness!

The second mic makes me jealous, for I never get the change to come that close to an insect They just jump/run away!
Thanks - I have a bush in my back yard, which turns really nice this time of the year. It's like bug heaven Grasshoppers and Spiders love it. In a few weeks it will start blooming and then I get all kinds of Bees there. Hope to get some good shots out of that too.

As long as I move relatively slow they seem to not be bothered.

The Mantis was completely friendly. I even touched it with my hand and it didn't act up or run away.