Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Need help identifying these wild flowers
Posted By: mithrandir, 05-24-2008, 12:06 PM

My yard has some of the poorest soil in the world. When new wildflowers show up, I try to encourage their growth and spread. Recently, a patch of yellow wildflowers has established itself in a sunlit portion of my yard. I would appreciate any help in determining what they are called. I am including a wide view of the flower patch along with close ups of the flower and the subsequent seed pod when the flower dries up. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Views: 2,006
05-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm not botanist, not even a florist, but I'd be willing to bet a buck to a billion those are dandelions, or catsears. If the leaves are smooth, they're dandelions, if they're hairy, catsears.

In America, neither are native, but I'm not sure if you'd call them weeds either.
05-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yikes. Get out yer weed pullers. These are dandelions. Although if you let them grow, you can use the greens in salads.
05-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dandelions are pretty. I have them all over my backyard.

05-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

A weed is just a flower growing in the wrong place. Can't remember who said that first but it's so true.

The "flower" could also be sneezeweed. There is one more that is similar but my books are in the RV and, for the life of me, I can't think of the name of it.
05-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
A weed is just a flower growing in the wrong place. Can't remember who said that first but it's so true.
I said it a couple of weeks ago in a post.
I'll be honest though, I didn't say it first. Looks like dandelion family. But they don't usually grow in such abundance.

I found a quote from 1878 by Ralph Waldo Emerson (American Philosopher and Poet) that is similar and could where it came from: What is a weed? a plant whose virtues have not been discovered.

Gary
05-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help so far. I can confirm that it is not sneezeweed. It is also not a dandelion (I've plenty of those to compare it with) nor a catsears since it does not form the wonderful "wishnicks" for propagation but seems to produce a bulb similar to a rose hip. Also each stem has one flower and seems to close up at night and open in the morning until it gets to the rose hip stage. Any other ideas?

05-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #8

Humm..

You silly. it's a weed Fart... only comes out when the weeds can't hold in... but nicely done...
05-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have done some more online research and it appears the mystery flower is variety of aster called hawkweed. However, I award most creative post to CagomoC.