Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Kokopelli's first photos are out!
Lens: SMC Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 AL Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Trondheim, Norway ISO: 200 
Posted By: ZoeB, 12-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Although I'm certainly noticing a bit of just-doubled-my-megapixels-syndrome, I've still managed to get some good shots with the new K-3, tentatively named Kokopelli. Loving every bit of it, down to the gorgeously subtle shutter.

Views: 1,963
12-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the name of your new toy. Looks like you will have a short learning curve. Nicely captured for your first try. I like the last one a lot; looks like difficult lighting conditions and you and the camera did a good job.
12-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks! Love that shot too the lighting was gorgeous!
12-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats on the K3.

12-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Congrats on the K3.
Thanks We're getting along quite nicely!
12-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
new K-3, tentatively named Kokopelli
Ok it falls to me to ask I guess, I'm the one who names his lens after various "Ladies'... but Wikipedia lists Kokopelli is a fertility deity!!!
12-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Ok it falls to me to ask I guess, I'm the one who names his lens after various "Ladies'... but Wikipedia lists Kokopelli is a fertility deity!!!
Also a symbol of travel, music, goodwill and good humour. And (the coolest) character in the cartoon strip in Muse magazine, which I loved as a kid. Also the tattoo on my hand.

12-20-2014, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Also a symbol of travel, music, goodwill and good humour. And (the coolest) character in the cartoon strip in Muse magazine, which I loved as a kid. Also the tattoo on my hand.
But KD still can't get by the fertility symbol thing. He's like that.

He reads "fertility deity"and his mind goes into "full stop" and then crashes.

If they wanted him to read those other things, they should have put them before the "fertility deity" thing.
12-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But KD still can't get by the fertility symbol thing. He's like that.

He reads "fertility deity"and his mind goes into "full stop" and then crashes.

If they wanted him to read those other things, they should have put them before the "fertility deity" thing.
Damn you, wikipedia!
12-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
These and you are not mentioned in wikipedia, or as Norm says I didn't read that far.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2014 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"fertility deity"and his mind goes into "full stop"
It's a man thing.

---------- Post added 21st Dec 2014 at 11:02 AM ----------

Damn you, wikipedia!
Really? it's the source of all knowledge don't you know, compiled and written by experts.
12-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey nice one ZoeB, on that last one , don't be shy at upping the ISO there to get a slightly faster shutter, at least a minimum of 1/50th for that 35mm lens, unless you had a tripod with you, would go a long way in tackling camera shake. The K3 should be good at higher ISO.

Last edited by beachgardener; 12-22-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: correct info.
12-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Hey nice one ZoeB, on that last one , don't be shy at upping the ISO there to get a slightly faster shutter, at least a minimum of 1/50th for that 35mm lens, unless you had a tripod with you, would go a long way in tackling camera shake. The K3 should be good at higher ISO.
Old habits I don't really see any motion blur though, but it was shot at f2.4, might it be the soft background you're reacting to?
12-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SR would have kicked in, just saying that a slower shutter speed than focal length might cause softness, not obvious motion blur as such, I like shallow depth of field images, do plenty myself, suppose it depends on the outcome for the image, on screen maybe no worries, for print it could be an issue. Friendly chat is all
12-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Zoe. Congrats on the new toy. I have a question for You, if I may -

Which white balance setting were you using? On my monitor the pics all have a very orange/blue cast to them - which may be deliberate, of course. It may be that the light the camera is seeing is just the way it is up in the frozen north and it looks unusual to my eye trained to appreciate Australian conditions with bright light and sunshine, but they all look like a strong tungsten setting has been used, or something similar. Pics 1,2 and 4 have the strongest cast.
12-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Hi Zoe. Congrats on the new toy. I have a question for You, if I may -

Which white balance setting were you using? On my monitor the pics all have a very orange/blue cast to them - which may be deliberate, of course. It may be that the light the camera is seeing is just the way it is up in the frozen north and it looks unusual to my eye trained to appreciate Australian conditions with bright light and sunshine, but they all look like a strong tungsten setting has been used, or something similar. Pics 1,2 and 4 have the strongest cast.
I don't so much bother with white balance in camera, it always gets done in post, so the colouration is deliberate-- that orange cast is because of the light we get during the winter time-- when it's cloudy and there's snow, the whole city will light up with that rosy-orange glow from light pollution, so it's not so much the WB as the light I was working with. The blue photo is a similar explanation, it was taken during 'blåtimen', the blue hour, which is about an hour or so after sunset, when the whole world turns blue.