Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Galah
Lens: DA*300 f4 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 400 
Posted By: RobG, 12-22-2014, 03:27 AM

Male Galah
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

And today I found out that you can tell the male from female by their eyes. The male's eyes are dark.

Galahs - gender by eyes
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

PS DA*300 + HD DA 1.4x TC hand held.

Last edited by RobG; 12-22-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Views: 2,078
12-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. Thanks for the trivia. I will store that away for when I want to sound knowledgeable.
12-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As we are seeing a few around my area I must take off the Macro lens and put on the Bigma.
12-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shots. Thanks for the trivia. I will store that away for when I want to sound knowledgeable.
You're welcome! I knew about the cere of the Budgie from when I was a kid, but I happened to notice the difference in the eyes of this pair of Galahs and looked it up.

12-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They look to be friendly little birds.
12-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The name is used in Australia for a person that is a bit of a fool, and the bird is well named, stupid as, but very entertaining.

Rob, great shots. We have lots here at Guyra, but I haven't got out to try my hand at shooting them, with the camera of course.
12-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We had one as a pet many years ago. It used to hang upside on its perch. Because it couldn't easily get back upright, it used to just let go and fall onto its back.

12-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's interesting, the male and female share the same colors! Nice captures!
12-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More of your fine shots Rob.

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
The name is used in Australia for a person that is a bit of a fool, and the bird is well named, stupid as, but very entertaining.
Like a lot of parrots they are playful but not stupid. Actually they are very smart. They are brilliant at finding seeds - which is why they are one of the few species to have prospered since European settlement. They pair bond for life and are very affectionate with one another.

It's hard to convey the nuance of "Galah" as a description for a person. Yes, it means fool, but I think in the sense of someone who draws attention to themselves doing silly things.

One of the few Australian birds with a common name taken from an Aboriginal language.

Last edited by Des; 12-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.
12-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
As we are seeing a few around my area I must take off the Macro lens and put on the Bigma.
Sounds like a plan! I'd be interested to see if they look any different.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Actually, they're quite big birds; about 35cm (14") long. They're certainly not unfriendly, and a lot less prone to being a problem like the White Cockatoo. I've seen White Cockatoos pulling the lining out of street lights and attacking the cables on household TV antennas. Still, I prefer native birds any day to the ferals!

Rob, great shots. We have lots here at Guyra, but I haven't got out to try my hand at shooting them, with the camera of course.
I remember seeing a flock of about a hundred of them on a farm on the hinterland of the NSW mid-north coast, flying around a farm trough where they had been drinking. It was an amazing sight (and sound) but I doubt it would work as anything other than video.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
We had one as a pet many years ago. It used to hang upside on its perch. Because it couldn't easily get back upright, it used to just let go and fall onto its back.
I've seen them hanging upside down off power lines in a thunderstorm flapping their wings to literally have a shower. I guess that behaviour didn't come from being so low to the ground as a perch.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
That's interesting, the male and female share the same colors! Nice captures!
Thanks! There's quite a few birds where it's hard to tell the genders apart, but most of them are very different; usually the males are the prettier (being more expendable).

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
More of your fine shots Rob. Like a lot of parrots they are playful but not stupid. Actually they are very smart. They are brilliant at finding seeds - which is why they are one of the few species to have prospered since European settlement. They pair bond for life and are very affectionate with one another. It's hard to convey the nuance of "Galah" as a description for a person. Yes, it means fool, but I think in the sense of someone who draws attention to themselves doing silly things. One of the few Australian birds with a common name taken from an Aboriginal language.
Thanks Des! Agreed, parrots are generally very intelligent and what we might say is "stupid" behaviour is often them playing. I watched a Corella (another local species of parrot) trying to play with another Corella by poking at the other bird with its beak then rolling on its back. It was also playing with a stick. Galahs seem to go a little crazy sometimes, flying around like mad things after some sort of trigger; it can be a problem when cars are around. You're right, many Australian birds have names taken from European species which look superficially similar but are generally unrelated like the Robin or Magpie.
12-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote

And today I found out that you can tell the male from female by their eyes. The male's eyes are dark.
That's something I didn't know. Mum and Dad will be pleased to find out after 30 years that their pet galah, Joey, is actually Joseph and not Josephine.
12-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
That's something I didn't know. Mum and Dad will be pleased to find out after 30 years that their pet galah, Joey, is actually Joseph and not Josephine.
Maybe some of his behaviour will become clearer now.
12-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Like a lot of parrots they are playful but not stupid.
Perhaps it was seeing them drunk across from home some seasons back. The fruit from the trees fermented. Hasn't happened now for some seasons. It was very entertaining.

I still think they act like Galahs.
12-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Perhaps it was seeing them drunk across from home some seasons back. The fruit from the trees fermented. Hasn't happened now for some seasons. It was very entertaining.
That would be funny to see! I've heard of birds becoming so drunk that they couldn't fly anymore.

QuoteQuote:
Very likely!
12-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Hence the Australian expression, "pissed as a parrot". (Which, for our American friends, means drunk not angry.)