Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A tale of Birds, Thieves, and things that smell! =D
Posted By: cputeq, 05-25-2008, 01:40 AM

So I was out the other day having a

Dandy...

...fine time when suddenly I was struck by an

Inspirational....

...thought. I should try shooting some birds using the feeder I installed in the back yard!

It was still a bit early in the morning. More troubling, though, was the heavy overcast still lingering. Not a problem, I thought, I'll just start

Metering....

...the scene to make sure I have the shutter speed I need. Like a lion who

Stalks...

...his prey, I very carefully walked to the shed in my back yard and just sat on the steps, holding very still and waiting for birds.

Now, as you may know, one of the

Cardinal...

...rules of birding is that you need patience. Luckily, I didn't have to wait too long, and the birds began eating seeds.

Unfortunately for me, I have a

Dirty Stinking Rotten Thief...

...hanging around the feeder. Not only is he stealing my food at a very quick rate, but he's scaring off all the birds! I can hear them chirping madly every time he shows up.

I didn't want to move and totally scare all the birds away, but I figured if I just made some loud

Noise....

...the squirrel would just go away. Well, it worked, somewhat. I would stomp on the shed steps, making a loud thud. Since I'm only about 25 feet away, the squirrel definitely buggered off...at least for a little bit.

Eventually, he must have known I couldn't really move without scaring the birds because he kept continually returning for seed about 30 seconds after "fleeing" from my stomps...right in time to scare away whatever bird I was about to shoot.

I'm pretty sure he was

Mocking

Me

Hope you enjoyed! (and yes, this story is about 71% true!)
Views: 2,450
05-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story and super pics! Really enjoyed it. The last shot (Mocking) is my favourite - wonderful DOF makes the little bloke stand out so well
05-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fabulous pics with great commentary, cputeq. Very clever!
05-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fula6 Quote
Great story and super pics! Really enjoyed it. The last shot (Mocking) is my favourite - wonderful DOF makes the little bloke stand out so well
Thanks! I wish I had a bit longer reach for the squirrel and cardinal shots, as the backgrounds didn't bokeh enough, but oh well. I think maybe my aperature was too low.

QuoteQuote:
Fabulous pics with great commentary, cputeq. Very clever!
THanks!

05-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Great picture story, because of the story I don't think it matters about the lack of reach. Might be cool to turn it into a picture book for the kids.
Gary