Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Some December Birds
Lens: Tokina 400, A 35-105 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: East Tennessee ISO: 50 
Posted By: mole, 12-23-2014, 03:00 PM

ts been a cool and damp December, ideal weather for observing birds, but not the best light for photographing them. But the new camera can handle low light (high ISO) so much better, so here are a few sample shots...

First an "up close and personal" face shot of one of my educational "tools" - Mrs. Barred Owl (one of our captive, non-releasable raptors). Taken with the old A 35-105, which sure seems to work will with the new camera...

(the rest are all taken with the Tokina 400)

Carolina Chickadees are abundant here in East Tennessee year-round. The tricky part is to catch one being still for more than a second! In the warmer seasons they subsist almost entirely on tiny insects, but in winter they switch to a more "seedy" diet.

Chickadees in winter join mixed flocks of other small birds. The "teams" of different species means a measure of safety from predators. Here's another species often found in the mixed flocks, a Tufted Titmouse. This one was posing near the "hand" of a bird-feeder (set up by another Park Ranger) to allow park visitors the chance to feed birds by hand!

Downy Woodpeckers are another common bird here year-round, and usually pretty approachable. They are another species often found in those mixed winter flocks.

Not all woodpeckers are approachable. I've taken LOTS of flicker photos that turned out to be just a departing blur! But this Flicker was kind enough to perch long enough for a few quick snapshots...

Speaking of shy birds, our Belted Kingfishers are especially camera-shy. They let me get fairly close, as long as there is no camera in sight. But pull out the camera, and they are gone!

Kingfishers are not the only fish-eating birds here in December. Our region is home to plenty of Great Blue Herons, year-round. And the herons let you get pretty close, as long as you stalk in slowly...

Of course, I have to include our Tennessee State Bird in this tour of "Tennessee birdland." Mockingbirds are bold and abundant here year-round. And they are very vigorous in defending their winter berry thickets!

Hope you've enjoyed this quick visit to some of our common East Tennessee birds, and that you'll share your comments & critique. Oh, and best wishes for a fine & blessed Christmas to you & yours!

Views: 2,008
12-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wonderful series and narrative! I really like the owl portrait, lots of detail in the feathers!
12-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely series and commentary.
12-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lovely, and we have a lot of these up here, too. Keeps me with the TN roots.

12-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Well done! Great shots all.
12-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you mole for a wonderful bird-series, I really did enjoy it.
12-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Love the birds. You have settled in nicely with the K-5.

12-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Really good Mole. I particularly like that Barred Owl. I've only seen one. It was in a small riverine forest nearby our place.
12-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom - Thanks so much! That old A35-105 sure can be sharp (when my old eyes get the focus right...)

Jac - Glad you enjoyed the words and photos!

Jacquot - Isn't it amazing how wide-ranging some of these little birds are!

Mike - Thanks for your kind words!

Heinrich - So glad you enjoyed these!

Susan - Thanks! Yes, the K-5 is working out quite well. Sure did help with a bunch of grandkid photos recently (High ISO's are a help for flighty birds as well as frisky children...)

Les - Barred Owls are our second most abundant owl here in East Tennessee (Screech Owls the commonest) - including a big family of them in the home park that show up on almost every summer night hike. But the one photographed here is an injured bird that we use for educational purposes. She was sitting on my left hand while this photo was taken. Here's another quick shot of her face:

12-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Tom - Thanks so much! That old A35-105 sure can be sharp (when my old eyes get the focus right...)

Jac - Glad you enjoyed the words and photos!

Jacquot - Isn't it amazing how wide-ranging some of these little birds are!

Mike - Thanks for your kind words!

Heinrich - So glad you enjoyed these!

Susan - Thanks! Yes, the K-5 is working out quite well. Sure did help with a bunch of grandkid photos recently (High ISO's are a help for flighty birds as well as frisky children...)

Les - Barred Owls are our second most abundant owl here in East Tennessee (Screech Owls the commonest) - including a big family of them in the home park that show up on almost every summer night hike. But the one photographed here is an injured bird that we use for educational purposes. She was sitting on my left hand while this photo was taken. Here's another quick shot of her face:
Mole,

That close up of the Barred Owl's face is incredibly sharp. I'm in Manitoba. We don't have a lot of Barred Owls up here, but do have a good number of Great Horned, Snowy and some Great Gray Owls.

I was with a friend last week, driving down some snow covered back roads and within an hour we saw 5 different Snowy Owls. Also saw a couple on the hunt. They would take off of hydro (electric) poles and fly fast, about a foot and a half / 2 feet off the ground...then about 150 or so yards away....drop quickly . They were too far away to see what the prey were, but they are great hunters.

Les
12-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thank you Ranger for not only the great photos but also the narrative. I always learn so much when you post.
12-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #12

Great shots

Thanks .. I really like them all. The tokina 400 looks like a great lens ..are you using a tripod and is it manual focus and manual aperture or is it auto aperture?
Andy