Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
December Waterfalls 3/3
Lens: FA 28, DA 35, FA 50, DA 70, M 200 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: East Tennessee ISO: 50 
Posted By: mole, 12-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Nearby Dennis Cove wilderness in Cherokee National Forest is a popular destination for hikers, including through-hikers on the Appalachian Trail. And one of the most popular sites along the AT here is Laurel Falls - a big and impressive 60' high waterfall that's at least as wide as it is tall! But there are other waterfalls nearby, and not many folks venture on down the side trail off of the AT to Coon Den Falls.
Coon Den Falls trail traverses some very lush green woodlands...

There are plenty of little riffles and "mini-falls" along the way...

The main falls are nearly 100 feet high, but not very wide. Here's a view of the top of the falls (taken with the old M 200)

A quick peek at the midst of the falls (taken while hanging onto the slick mossy sides...)

It's almost impossible to get all of the waterfall into one photo, but here's two attempts...

Hope you enjoyed the slippery trip, and thanks for any comments & critique!

Views: 1,005
12-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Here's a view of the top of the falls (taken with the old M 200)

That's a great shot--I'm really starting to be a believer in the "tele landscape" concept.
12-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mole, thank you for a wonderful series, I have more than once looked at all three parts and really enjoyed it. Wish that I could go and still hike those trails.
12-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Gorgeous as always. Tennessee needs to start paying you as an ambassador for their parks.

12-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Always happy to view whatever you post. Always a beautiful journey!
12-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CreationBear - Will definitely agree that long lenses can make for interesting landscapes. In this case, there was no other (safe) way to photograph the top. Before my old A 70-210 succumbed to lens fungus, it was one of my favorite landscape lenses.

Heinrich - So glad you enjoyed the hikes!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Gorgeous as always. Tennessee needs to start paying you as an ambassador for their parks.
Susan - Thanks! Of course I do get paid by the parks, but not as an ambassador....

Joi - Thanks for your very kind words! I am indeed blessed to live in such a beautiful location.
12-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice, very nice series!