Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mah Pentax Bling Things....
ISO: 50 
Posted By: magkelly, 12-26-2014, 03:59 PM

My K-30's both of them. I actually have made some sugar skulls out of polymer I might use, but for now I decided on stickers because I'm just not sure I want to put anything on them I can't easily remove. The "crystals" are mostly phone bling on these, not Austrian. I think they still look nice, but it's not as sparkly as with my Oly's.

Ruby and Skully, blinged, Capturing Couture straps...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Views: 1,192
12-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite remarkable Mag. Must draw street comments on walkabouts.
12-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Uh, yeah, a bit but not as much as the little Oly's. I use my K-30's mostly in the studio, not on the street. I have taken them down to the beaches, but since that's a major tourist area nobody thinks much of it being weird. On the beach walks, on the piers, this is nothing compared to a lot of the level of weirdness you see. It's not quite Venice, CA level street madness but it can be pretty wild depending upon the time of year. We have people in pirate dress running around one place. They just think I'm part of the show usually.

My clients and their kids love it. Particularly the kids. They just grin, giggle, and relax and it's all good. The kids love the bling and the stickers. It's a lot less intimidating for them really. Mind you none of this is permanent if I don't want to be. I could pull it off or change it if I want, when I want. I tend to dress up a bit Ozian-Goth when I am working with the kids actually. Or I sometimes wear Monster High, Trek or Who related gear. The cameras they kind of fit all that.

It's gimmicky, but it works. 90% of my work so far is with little kids. They really love the ruby slippers and skull cams. The kids have a good time. I get far better pics because they do. I sometimes hand out little toys after too. I like to see happy faces. I love my work, I really do. Not quite enough of it yet, but it's fun. FYI, my business name is Oz themed. My nieces helped me think it up. They're huge Oz and Wicked fans. What I do, it might seem silly, but it actually helps people to remember me and the kids to have a good time.

So far it's been a good thing for me really being "silly" and I don't care if other pros think I am. Most of the ones I've met here are total snobs anyway. They're so threatened by my wanting to work here that they barely talk to me. I'm not worried too much about their opinion. It's my job satisfaction that matters and the effect on my bank account. So far, so good. My business is building, albeit slowly. This is not a new thing for me though. People always think I'm strange. Might as well make it work for me, eh?

Last edited by magkelly; 12-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.
01-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

The perils of browsing in tabs and posting when you're tired...

01-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, came back and took a proper look. That red K-30 is amazing, and I'm not surprised it's an asset when photographing kids. I wanted a purple K-r to make a similar decorative statement, but I never had the budget for a second camera when they were easily available and now, well, I have a lot of other things to spend money on first.