Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I need fresh eyes... thanks
Posted By: Igilligan, 05-25-2008, 01:33 PM

I tend to seldom use the Tamron 70-300 because of the PF issues, But this morning I was going to shoot a sparrow in the backyard and I put on the 70-300, by the time I switched lenses, the sparrow was way up in the tree... but this butterfly landed so I snapped a few before it flew off.

Does it work? And if so does one work better than the other?

Attachment 12811

Attachment 12812

I appreciate any comments...
Views: 2,529
05-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gus,

These are spectacular captures taken with a relatively ordinary zoom. Then again, you composed them, so credit goes to you, not the lens...

Did you take them at 300mm? If so, is the 100% crop acceptably sharp? I wonder how these shots would have worked out if you'd used a DA* 300 or the 55-300...
05-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Gus,
I think they are great shots worthy of a wall somewhere.
The Tammy aint so bad and these shots just add to its reputation.

Have you printed them off? They would look good on canvas.

Cheers
Grant
05-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Igilligan

Thanks Ash and Grant

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Gus,

These are spectacular captures taken with a relatively ordinary zoom. Then again, you composed them, so credit goes to you, not the lens...

Did you take them at 300mm? If so, is the 100% crop acceptably sharp? I wonder how these shots would have worked out if you'd used a DA* 300 or the 55-300...
Thanks Ash, They were shot at 300mm handheld and it was a bit windy so I am not sure they would hold up to 100% crops... but probably no fault of the lens. I also have been exclusively shooting my Vivitar 105 and Tamron 28-75 lately and they are so sharp that I am not a good judge on sharpness of late. Every other lens I have sort of pales in sharpness when compared to those two.
I forget that under the right conditions the tamron can really have a nice look to it.

I would love to have shot them with the DA* 300, anyone want to loan me one? haha

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Gus,
I think they are great shots worthy of a wall somewhere.
The Tammy aint so bad and these shots just add to its reputation.

Have you printed them off? They would look good on canvas.

Cheers
Grant
Thanks Grant... you are right it is a good little lens. I just had a tough day on the slough a couple of months back on some egret shots with bad PF... so I have not used it much lately. And as I said the vivitar and tamron 28-75 have been on the camera so much lately.

I have not printed them but the canvas type print might look cool with these.

Thanks again to both of you for you comments

05-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They work very nicely, I favor the second shot because you can see the full profile, great color.
05-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Same as the other guys say Gus.
Definitely the second one is far better full size because of the profile and I think the first one might work if you cropped it down to a portrait because you can see the proboscis delving into the flower, which isn't so apparent in the second shot. Done that way I think they would enhance each other displayed together.
Gary
05-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Gus:

Great shots!!! I have the same lens, and I gotta tell you, I have never, ever gotten a shot this sharp. It is even more amazing (at least it is to me), that these were handheld @ 300mm on a windy day. I'm having a wee bit of trouble getting sharp shots with mine @ 300mm, but I definitely keep practicing.

05-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Igilligan

Thanks all

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
They work very nicely, I favor the second shot because you can see the full profile, great color.
Thanks for the feedback...
I think I agree with you, at first I thought I liked the first better,but the second does have a better profile to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Same as the other guys say Gus.
Definitely the second one is far better full size because of the profile and I think the first one might work if you cropped it down to a portrait because you can see the proboscis delving into the flower, which isn't so apparent in the second shot. Done that way I think they would enhance each other displayed together.
Gary
Gary I will try some portrait crops when I get home tonight. I never thought about a tighter crop... you want to give it a shot to send me in the right direction? It would be much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Gus:

Great shots!!! I have the same lens, and I gotta tell you, I have never, ever gotten a shot this sharp. It is even more amazing (at least it is to me), that these were handheld @ 300mm on a windy day. I'm having a wee bit of trouble getting sharp shots with mine @ 300mm, but I definitely keep practicing.
Tom,
Ha ha, I have a bunch of blurry windy shots too. I only posted a couple keepers. I do find my copy of the tamron to be pretty sharp, even at 300mm... I was only about 7 or 8 feet away so that may help a bit.
Do you have a link to any 300mm shots of yours?
05-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm going to go against the grain and say the first shot is better...at least in your examples posted. The second seems to have more sharpening, or doesn't stand up to the sharpening as well as the first.

I also like seeing both wings on the first...so composition wise I'd give that the nod as well.

Cheers!
D
05-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ijust sold one this lens. Seeing these shots, I might live to regret it.
Beautiful shots, very well done! Personally, I would take either shot. both do it for me actually!
05-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I'm going to go against the grain and say the first shot is better...at least in your examples posted. The second seems to have more sharpening, or doesn't stand up to the sharpening as well as the first.

I also like seeing both wings on the first...so composition wise I'd give that the nod as well.

Cheers!
D
Great catch on the sharpening on the second shot. I gave it an extra bump just before resizing, I was rushing off to work and did not have time to fix it. I thought I might get away with it on the resize but..... you got me.

I will try a second version when I get home from the the prom...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Ijust sold one this lens. Seeing these shots, I might live to regret it.
Beautiful shots, very well done! Personally, I would take either shot. both do it for me actually!

Thanks for the kind words.
You wont live to regret it, we pass on the lenses that dont quite work for us. I have been tempted to sell mine too. For the money though it is a fun lens, but with my copy the PF is just so random with it.
05-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Here's a couple of crops Gus, see what you think.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:32 AM.
05-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gus,

They are both excellent captures. The lighting on the flowers is a bit harsh, but you'll get that sometimes if the sun is out

As another said... a touch over worked though.

Butterfly shots are tough to capture well, but these are both good captures. I think the hardest thing to control about these pictures is that the color yellow is harder to deal with in Pentax's rendering than any other color.

Stephen
05-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
AML

Those are excellent catures Gus, so sharp. My favourite is the second one.
05-26-2008, 04:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

2nd shot is the best one. Love the angle and shiny smooth eyes!