Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Walk toward the light, it's okay...
Posted By: khardur, 05-25-2008, 11:09 PM

From Saturday morning.
Shot with the K200D and the 10-17 Fisheye.

Views: 2,739
05-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are beautiful shots, khardur! That 2ns shot would be on the wall fo shizzle. Very 3Dish What settings have you used?

05-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
these are great images.

Just one word of caution however.

You need to make sure the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train
05-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That's always been one amazing tunnel, it'd be even cooler if one could turn back time and see the juice-jacks that used to run through the Hoosac. Is there any caternary left there?

Nice pics, btw, I like the 2nd one the best. Maybe shoot a train going through it next time, though not while you're in the tunnel?
05-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Wow! Those are great shots. I especially like the 2nd one. As for the flare.....there is no flare. Only light....and I'm ready to walk into it.

Nice series...

05-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Really nice. It may be flare to some but I think it perfectly captures the moment.
05-26-2008, 07:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great shot Dan. The first is my favourite just because the tracks are straight. I like the second but the curve to the track is a bit of a distraction (that ol' fish eye effect). Great stuff though.
05-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Very cool...

WOW.. Khardar.. these are sweet shots... I like them.... I don't know what is my favorite...

#1 gives a dark damp feeling... almost like fog in a scary movie... with the tracks fading away... Give me shivers.. lol

#2 and #3 are very Heavenly looking.. Like the light from above lighting your way..

I know.. Sometimes I'm just out there.... but needless to say.. love the pics.. Thanks for sharing them. Kim

05-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Dan,

These are really interesting images. I especially like images 1 and 2. I think the first image would be enhanced if the image was rotated clockwise to vertical... but then again...

Love the perspective in the second shot. Almost looks like an engine's light bearing down on you.
Stephen
Stephen - agree with the rotation thing - thanks. I noticed the slight tilt just after I posted it and just thought - oh well, too late for that one. Sometimes I don't pay enough attention to the horizon.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The first one takes the cake for me. Really stunning photo! I'm jealous.
Thanks - my personal favorite of them is the 3rd one.

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
That first shot is mighty impressive. The slightly sloped horizon give the impression of walking toward it.
The second has a little too much distortion on the left side for me.
Fair enough - and agree sometimes the Fisheye effect is nice, other times it can definitely be too much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sorry, misuse of words, I just meant the actual light was just a bit too much for my liking.
no biggie, I just didn't want anyone (who didn't have the lens) to think that was lens flare for fear of scaring someone away from trying it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
When I have my cardiac arrest, I'll think of your first photo before they (hopefully) drag me back...!
yeah, hopefully we all don't see that for a long time!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The lighting is amazing. Good capture
thx James!

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Dan, excellent management of really difficult lighting situation. I think that the B&W conversion in the second is simply stunning. Wonderful job! And I really enjoy the composition of all three, but especially the first.
NaCl(could be on one of those "inspirational" posters)H2O
Thanks, Salty - I see so many other people doing amazing B&W conversions - I'm never quite sure if I got it right.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
These images are amazing ... it's definitely worthy of framing that's for sure.
I am impressed with these ... you could make a lot of money of them if you wanted as well.
I'm hoping to do that, hopefully sooner rather than later.

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
The second one is my favourite - amazing shot!
Thanks!
05-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
They are beautiful shots, khardur! That 2ns shot would be on the wall fo shizzle. Very 3Dish What settings have you used?
top one: 1/10 sec at f/14 (10mm)
middle: 1/50th sec at f/14 (10mm)
last one: 1/15th sec at f/14 (10mm)
all on a tripod, at ISO 100.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
these are great images.
Just one word of caution however.

You need to make sure the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train
right! advice to live by, for sure. I'm not planning on walking the length of the tunnel, though people have done it. I'm happy hanging around enough to get a good picture or two and go back out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
Is there any caternary left there?

Nice pics, btw, I like the 2nd one the best. Maybe shoot a train going through it next time, though not while you're in the tunnel?
don't know what a caternary is - I'm unfortunately not big on train equipment - though that may change with my little one liking them so much.
I read an account of a guy who was in the tunnel just recently (in 2002) when a train went by - he said it's basically "lean up against the wall and hope for the best" - because there's not really much room for more than the train. And lots of power lines, sitting precariously in puddles of water... fun stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Wow! Those are great shots. I especially like the 2nd one. As for the flare.....there is no flare. Only light....and I'm ready to walk into it.
Nice series...
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Really nice. It may be flare to some but I think it perfectly captures the moment.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great shot Dan. The first is my favourite just because the tracks are straight. I like the second but the curve to the track is a bit of a distraction (that ol' fish eye effect). Great stuff though.
Thx Peter, yeah I'm still up in the air as to how much I like the lens - it's a love/hate relationship - either you love the effect or you can't stand it - I guess I'll keep it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
WOW.. Khardar.. these are sweet shots... I like them.... I don't know what is my favorite...
#1 gives a dark damp feeling... almost like fog in a scary movie... with the tracks fading away... Give me shivers.. lol
#2 and #3 are very Heavenly looking.. Like the light from above lighting your way..
I know.. Sometimes I'm just out there.... but needless to say.. love the pics.. Thanks for sharing them. Kim
Thanks Kim! that's how I look at photos - not necessarily at the technical aspects, but how it makes you feel.
05-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
cool. Just cool.
05-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

khardur, the caternary is the overhead electrical wire that powers some electric trains. I know electrification ended by the dieselization of the B&M, so I don't expect any is left.

Still great shots, though.
05-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ahh, good to know. I looked it up but couldn't find it listed (admittedly I only looked on dictionary.com, perhaps I misspelled it)
I saw old photographs with the old electrical wires running into the tunnel - i was wondering what that was really called. I didn't see anything resembling that - but there were pipes and wires and stuff lining the sides. And at the entrance the walls seemed to be coated in foam.
I read recommendations that "if you go in there, wear a hard hat" - apparently bricks seem to fall all the time - which is creepy, you wonder how long that can happen before something REALLY gives...
05-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #28
Forum Member

terrific photos.

I really like the first one. very evocative.

Duncan.
05-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #29
Damn Brit

Dan, please take back what I said, just realized my wife had turned up the brightness on our Macbook. Doh!
I would like to upgrade to First Class if I may I like the first one best because it gives me a ghost story feeling.
Gary
05-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Very nice images Dan! (don't get run over)