Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sad Warbler Story...
Lens: FA* 250-600mm f5.6 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: QC, Canada (see geotag in flickr) ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Weevil, 01-02-2015, 11:40 PM

(xposted on the 300mm club)
Today, I went out to a place where a Nashville Warbler has been reported since early December. I went there 2 times last week, without being able to observe it, but today it was present... this poor little warbler will probably be killed by the cold in the next coming weeks, when the temperature will drop significantly below -20C. I stayed there for more than an hour observing and taking photos. Temperature was around -8C with a strong wind. The bird was active under the spruces, scavenging on the top soil for... I don't know, These birds normally eat small insects.

Paruline à joues grises / Nashville Warbler [Leiothlypis ruficapilla]
by Curculion, on Flickr

by Curculion, on Flickr

by Curculion, on Flickr

After 5-10 minutes of activity, it stopped for about 1-2 minutes, in a sunray, expanding its feathers to keep the heat, closing its eyes like if it was doing a nap.

by Curculion, on Flickr

by Curculion, on Flickr

In this one, it's like if it was looking at me and saying: help me! help me!

I felt very sad when I left .... left it alone in this crisp cold. I whish I could capture it and bring it home, feeding it all winter long, so it would survive...
Sad...

by Curculion, on Flickr

(sniff sniff)
Views: 1,274
01-03-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't feel bad about those fluffy balls. They've been around for generations, and they need no down jackets.
01-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello, I know.. but even if I am a biologist, and am normally pretty detached , not emotional, about the nature and its laws etc.... since I was observing it for a while, I think I developed a kind of attachment this time, knowing its predictable faith... Sad nonetheless

Last edited by Weevil; 01-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
01-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hello, I know.. but even if I am a biologist, and am normally pretty detached , not emotional, about the nature and its laws etc.... since I was observing it for a while, I think I developed a kind of attachment this time, knowing its predictable faith... Sad nonetheless
I know what you mean. I visit a riverine forest nearby on a regular basis. Every other year or so, I see a wild duck or Canada Goose....still there by December. At that time the river usually only has a very small patch ...couple square yards....of running water. The rest of the river is solidly frozen over and it's only a matter of time when it will be completely frozen over. All the other geese/ducks have left and I assume that these lonely creatures still here are here due to the fact that either they were injured or for some other reason, unable to depart with their kind. The winters here (prairies) get extremely cold.

01-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A lovely series of shots and, unfortunately, you are probably right. If it can't find enough high calorie food to provide energy for warmth and flight, it may not make it. Sad.

Last edited by jac; 01-04-2015 at 08:23 AM.
01-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Beautiful captures of a lovely bird. Sad story.
08-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Don't feel bad about those fluffy balls. They've been around for generations, and they need no down jackets.
These birds normally migrate long before these photos were taken. I don't know whether this one was sick, or "just" got separated from the flock. In any case, the prognosis for this bird was very poor; we can say this is Darwin at work, but it is still sad. I'm glad the OP gave him his "15 minutes of fame".