Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first "macro"
Posted By: -wikstrom-, 01-04-2015, 01:20 PM

Hello!

I recently came across some extension tubes which I thought could combine with my Pentax-M 50/1.7. I shot a few pictures tonight in my room of my plants and this one came out as the best of the bunch:

Attached Images

Views: 1,330
01-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good start. You nailed the focus as much as you can with a depth of field that is about the thickness of a piece of paper, it looks like.
01-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
You'll have us all out shaving our hairy plants next... before we photograph them with images like this.

Well done, great capture.
01-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Lots of fun!

01-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Good start. You nailed the focus as much as you can with a depth of field that is about the thickness of a piece of paper, it looks like.
Thanks! Yea, that seems about right. I believe I could have got a sharper picture if I only could have used a smaller aperture.

It seems the extension tubes have some kind of mechanical feature that makes the lens use it's largest aperture when attached to the camera...
01-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by -wikstrom- Quote
Thanks! Yea, that seems about right. I believe I could have got a sharper picture if I only could have used a smaller aperture.

It seems the extension tubes have some kind of mechanical feature that makes the lens use it's largest aperture when attached to the camera...
You need to enable "Use Aperture" or words to that effect in the main menus on your camera. Then the camera will stop the lens down to your chosen aperture when you take the picture. You need to have the camera in M (manual) exposure mode, and use the Green button to set the approximate shutter speed. Depending on the lens you might have to tweak the shutter speed a bit to get perfect exposure.
01-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You need to enable "Use Aperture" or words to that effect in the main menus on your camera. Then the camera will stop the lens down to your chosen aperture when you take the picture. You need to have the camera in M (manual) exposure mode, and use the Green button to set the approximate shutter speed. Depending on the lens you might have to tweak the shutter speed a bit to get perfect exposure.
I've got a K-5 and in menu C.4 option 27 I have it set to 2 which enables me to use fully manual lenses and set the exposure as you said. The extension tubes have a lever which ,when attached only to the lens (aperture set to 22), when you press it change the aperture to a greater one... Oh well, I might figure it out eventually...

01-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The extension tubes have a lever which ,when attached only to the lens (aperture set to 22), when you press it change the aperture to a greater one
That is the diaphragm coupling lever. It keeps the lens diaphragm at the widest aperture until you release the shutter. Only then does it stop down to the setting on the aperture ring. Are you sure it isn't stopping down? If it isn't, are you indeed in M mode? If you're in any of the automatic modes, a manual lens won't stop down during exposure.
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your lens has an aperture ring then you should be able to set it where you want it then use the green button to get stop down metering before you fire the shutter. It's no different that any manual aperture lens. The camera doesn't do it automatically but it is not disabled by the extension tubes unless you have the ones without the aperture stop down lever.
01-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Manual mode ( M )
Manually set ISO , Aperture and shutter speed ...
You don't want to give the ISO a free hand here ...
Set the camera to ISO 100 , F-highest number , with a125 shutter speed .. Then shoot again with F1.7 ...
The f1.7 should be nice and bright , whilst the f-highest number , should be dark ...
Now you know if the aperture is working or not ...

As mentioned , the camera holds the aperture open until you take the photo , then the camera closes the aperture to the setting chosen for the photo ...
This happens (?) when the mirror is raised I think (?) so goes un noticed ..
01-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hello!

I recently came across some extension tubes which I thought could combine with my Pentax-M 50/1.7. I shot a few pictures tonight in my room of my plants and this one came out as the best of the bunch:
Very nice, love the colors,
01-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look in the mirror box, you can see a lever that physically stops the lens down when the exposure takes place. One thing not mentioned above, that I can see, is that the lens must not be on the "A" setting for manual exposure without the contacts to the lens. If the camera body sees no contacts, it won't work with auto aperture at all.
08-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello!

nice and simple! really love this shot! the colours are incredible
08-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well lit and well detailed