Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Flash for Macro :
Posted By: old4570, 01-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Any flash will do the job , as long as light reaches the POF ( Point Of Focus )
One of the nicest stock flashes I have used is the AF-200FG that came with my K50 .. It works a treat ..

If you wish to get a little more creative : ( Many keep asking about my set up )

Here are the parts to my Macro flash rig ( Ebay links )

The bracket to put everything on : ( C shaped )

C Shape 2 Hot Shoe Dual Bracket Stand for LED Video Light Flash Camcorder Camera | eBay

Swivel Mini Bracket :

360° Swivel Mini Bracket Ballhead Stand 1 4" Screw for Camera Tripod Convenient | eBay

The Flash : ( Cheap and low voltage trigger )

CY 20 Universal Hot Shoe Camera Electronic Flash for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus | eBay

Hot Shoe adapter : ( might want to order two just in case )

Hotshoe Flash Adapter Remote Control Receiver F Canon to Nikon Flash PC Socket | eBay

Sync chord : ( Might want two )

12" 12 inch 2 5mm Plug to Male Flash PC Sync Cord Cable | eBay

I think that's it for what I use ..
Your only limitation toward a Macro flash solution is your imagination .. The possibilities are endless .
Views: 3,613
01-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I recommend triggers as an option in any case, just mentioning high voltage as something to look for if you go this route and might use high voltage flashes. Triggers that are high voltage capable will usually mention this, or reviews will.
The cheap triggers I see on eBay don't mention anything. In addition, the transmitter unit uses a 12V battery, which may be hard to source once it runs out. I'm looking to do this on the cheap since it's an experiment - I have no idea if
I'd be using this rig on any kind of regular basis ( or even at all ). Rather than invest in expensive Wireless triggers for the Sunpack, it probably makes more sense to spend the money on a newer flash with low trigger voltage.

How to check to be sure: Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers
Thanks for that. According to it, the Sunpack has a trigger voltage of 180V.

That said, near the bottom of the first page, the author says the following:
"I've also noted that it as become more and more usual for DSLRs, including low-end models, to use a SCR (Silicon-Controlled Rectifier) thyristor to trigger a hot-shoe mounted flash. This type of electronic component is usually safe up to around 400 volts."

So perhaps this is why old4570 has been able to use this and other old flashes with impunity. Or maybe it might be possible to get one and incorporate it into a PC cable.

This page shows a circuit for reducing the trigger voltage of a Vivitar flash, but it's intended to go inside the flash. I'm not sure it can be "inserted" in-line between the hot shoe and the flash without a separate battery:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=416117

Another variant:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-old-flashes-on-new-DSLR-cameras./

It looks like someone has done this for one flash anyways:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/58197-...safe-sync.html

Last edited by arkav; 01-06-2015 at 07:18 AM.
01-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I read that ... Unfortunately is it a guarantee ?
I personally don't see such an issue with the voltage , voltage on its own is ?
Current is the killer .. So if there was a short or anything occurred where a little extra juice from the flash was allowed to flow into the camera , the current and Voltage could = decent power to damage something ..
Low voltage means an awful lot of current would be needed ..
And to some extent that's what a flash does , it stores power , and a decent amount at that . And if it were for some reason to flow to the camera rather than the flash ( Ooops )
All my flashes are low Voltage except the sunpack 124 ... ( Good to know )
01-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depending on your definition of cheap, you might want to avoid the cheapest.

For example these guys: Yongnuo Professional Flash Trigger RF 603 II N3 FOR Canon Pentax Olympus Nikon | eBay

can take high voltage YONGNUO RF-603 II – Now Available | FLASH HAVOC

ClassA would be the guy to talk to though, he's always up to speed on the available options and how well they work with Pentax. If the trigger route does interest you, ask in Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
www.ontariobutterflies.ca
I missed this signature earlier. I've been to your website several hundred times the past couple summers. So thanks for the great resource!
01-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Depending on your definition of cheap, you might want to avoid the cheapest
I've got a lifetime worth of "junk" kicking around that I've spent good money on and then didn't end up using.

I have no problem spending money on something that I KNOW I'm going to use ( I sprang for a DFA 100 WR - far from
the cheapest option in macro lenses ).

I've been shooting bugs for years without flash, but that hasn't really been macro. I'm not sure I'll like using a flash rig,
or that I'll want to do a lot of higher magnification shooting, or that it will be practical for me in the field.
I'd like to try it out "on the cheap", just to avoid adding to my collection of unused stuff.

Those flash triggers you suggest look nice, and they could certainly be used in a lot of different configurations, but they're
a bit expensive as a solution to this particular problem. Rather than spend $35 US on these triggers, I could just toss the old flash
and get a used Pentax flash for not much more ( or buy the $12 flash off ebay as recommended by old4570 ).

Those triggers might be the way to go for someone else who sees themselves making more extensive use of flash
in a studio setting, so they're a great suggestion. Thanks for that.

I missed this signature earlier. I've been to your website several hundred times the past couple summers. So thanks for the great resource!
Excellent! Glad you found it useful. And thanks for letting me know.

01-06-2015, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I hear you. It's much easier to make sensible purchasing decisions after you've already made the bad ones. If you ever find yourself near the bruce peninsula I'd be happy to let you try out some of my gear (while I discretely try to absorb some of your butterfly knowledge)

Those triggers might be the way to go for someone else who sees themselves making more extensive use of flash
in a studio setting, so they're a great suggestion. Thanks for that.
They're grand in the field too. A standard setup for me is attached below (I've been meaning to post this somewhere, here seems like a good place so no worries if you find it impractical for your use). It takes:

-1 radio transmitter, and 2 triggers. Mine are older rf602's, but newer rf603ii's would be about $50-60
-2 flashes, old sunpak 433d's are my usual ~20-30 each (on sb28 is pictured below, more expensive and handy to have a flash with more features sometimes)
-2 stands. A tripod works (shown here), and so will pretty cheap stands. Mine are the more costly Manfrotto 5001B Nano Black Light Stand - 6.2' (1.9m) 5001B B&H, since I opted for compact quality to withstand years, and years of use.
-2 umbrella swivels. Optional, but give more control over the direction of the flash when on a stand (not needed on a tripod w/ballhead). Mine were random but sturdy brand, ~$15 each.
-DIY softbox, a few $ of foamcore, parchment paper, hot glue, and snazzy black duct tape and you can make several.

You can cut costs and aim for only one light off camera on a random cheap tripod. Combined with a reflector, you'll still have a very versatile setup.

My usual use is to set up the lights aimed at something interesting, then I'm free to handhold the camera and move around relatively unencumbered. Some results:

Cross lit the same as in the iris setup shot:

Tent Caterpillars
by Jelly Brain, on Flickr

Softbox at subject, bare flash aimed at background:

Gypsy Moth Caterpillar

Softbox + reflector on opposite side:

Laurel Sphinx Caterpillar

This kind of setup isn't for everyone. Compared with one like old4570's in the OP:

Pros
-more flexible lighting configurations are possible
-once setup, camera is easy to move around unencumbered
-works great for slow moving things, or things that return to perches/feeding locations

Cons
-not nearly as mobile for chasing fast stuff
-more stuff means more to carry
-more costly if you're starting from scratch, especially if you have no tripod to use as a 'free stand' and opt for multiple lights

Depends on your preferences and what you're after, what kind of trade-offs you're willing to make, etc. I have a setup like old4570's that I use for nighttime frog chasing (less gear to keep track of), though I'll sometimes supplement it with an off camera flash or two as rimlights. Horses for courses. Lighting is imo one of the most crucial aspects of close up photography, but fortunately I think it has one of the best bang for buck ratios out of all camera gear if you opt for the frugal manual flash approach.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I hear you. It's much easier to make sensible purchasing decisions after you've already made the bad ones.
And the counter argument is that at least for me, the temporary-stop-gap-prototype, if it actually works, often becomes permanent. I never go on to make ( or buy ) the "real thing".

If you ever find yourself near the bruce peninsula I'd be happy to let you try out some of my gear (while I discretely try to absorb some of your butterfly knowledge
Definitely a possibility. The Bruce peninsula is on my list - it's the go-to spot for the Dorcas Copper in "Southern" Ontario. I almost made a day trip up there last summer when I was visiting friends in
Guelph, but the weather was iffy, and I didn't want to drive all the way up there only to get rained out. Many of my outings are geared towards photographing one or more target species, and I treat
the more common species I see along the way as "targets of opportunity". Lots of humming and hawing over weather forecasts and last minute venue changes.

They're grand in the field too
Fair enough, but for me, "the field" is often miles from my car. "Rare" species are often not so much rare, they're just found in habitats that are remote or otherwise difficult to access. Getting myself
there with just my camera and enough water to get me back is often a challenge. I've been known to hold up my long zoom and an extra water bottle and debate which to bring along. More than once,
I've wished I had the water instead of the extra lens. I'm not sure a rig like old4570's would survive serious bushwacking - that's part of the reason I'd want to try it out on the cheap.
I haven't carried my tripod in years, so I'm considering selling it and replacing it with one of those light travel tripods that will fit inside a backpack.
At least there's a slim chance I might carry one of those.

But I can see doing something like what you suggest under circumstances where you have a non-mobile subject that isn't too remote. Thanks for posting that. Food for thought.
01-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can always carry a couple of short table top sized tripods if the subjects are typically low to the ground. A flash modifer like the Gary Fong Lightsphere on a wireless triggered flash will then make for pretty easy and very portable diffused light. Mind you I haven't TRIED this yet with my macro gear but it's on my todo list...

01-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

And the counter argument is that at least for me, the temporary-stop-gap-prototype, if it actually works, often becomes permanent. I never go on to make ( or buy ) the "real thing".
My cheapo $8 extension tube set, homemade diffusers, and assorted fleabay objects that I still use agree with you.

Fair enough, but for me, "the field" is often miles from my car.
I often take this stuff on pretty lengthy hikes. To be fair, I'm generally on trails and usually with a non-photographer nice enough to carry spare snacks and drinks, not so much the extensive bushwhacking you've obviously done. But I totally get what you're saying, it's always a compromise between versatility and portability and I do frequently leave stuff behind in favour of lighter but less versatile options.
01-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The two cheapest flashes on Ebay are low voltage ... ...

Universal by 18 Hot Shoe Mini Flash Speedlight for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus | eBay

CY 20 Universal Hot Shoe Camera Electronic Flash for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus | eBay

I measured mine and LOW !
01-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
The two cheapest flashes on Ebay are low voltage ... ...

Universal by 18 Hot Shoe Mini Flash Speedlight for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus | eBay

You have them both? In the listing of the first one, for trigger method, it says "high voltage trigger".
01-07-2015, 05:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

IMO, if you are shooting bugs in the field, the simplest best solution is a ring flash. Forget the P-TTL, TTL, triggers and all that stuff, shooting manual is the best way. Yes, it takes some experimenting, but it works best, at least for me. Old ring flashes can be found for less than 100 bucks on ebay and used camera shops. With a ring flash you don't have all that bulky brackets and stuff getting in the way while you are sticking the camera in the brush. With flowers and other static objects then off camera flash, tripods, etc. would work ok. But for me I don't like to carry around a lot of bulky extra items.
01-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes

You have them both? In the listing of the first one, for trigger method, it says "high voltage trigger".

I have them both .. And I measured both with the Multimeter ...

I can do it again with fresh batteries and see what the readings are ...

---------- Post added 01-10-15 at 08:14 PM ----------

Ok fresh Alkaline batteries :
CY-20 returns 5.97v measured ..
BY-18 returns 6.17v measured ..
01-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Any flash will do the job , as long as light reaches the POF ( Point Of Focus )
One of the nicest stock flashes I have used is the AF-200FG that came with my K50 .. It works a treat ..

If you wish to get a little more creative : ( Many keep asking about my set up )

Here are the parts to my Macro flash rig ( Ebay links )

The bracket to put everything on : ( C shaped )

C Shape 2 Hot Shoe Dual Bracket Stand for LED Video Light Flash Camcorder Camera | eBay

Swivel Mini Bracket :

360° Swivel Mini Bracket Ballhead Stand 1 4" Screw for Camera Tripod Convenient | eBay

The Flash : ( Cheap and low voltage trigger )

Hot Shoe adapter : ( might want to order two just in case )

Hotshoe Flash Adapter Remote Control Receiver F Canon to Nikon Flash PC Socket | eBay

Sync chord : ( Might want two )

12" 12 inch 2 5mm Plug to Male Flash PC Sync Cord Cable | eBay

I think that's it for what I use ..
Your only limitation toward a Macro flash solution is your imagination .. The possibilities are endless .
Very affordable rig. I think I might borrow some ideas from it. Thanks.