Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Air/Sea Action - Shots Exchanged
Posted By: Sailor, 05-26-2008, 04:26 PM

It turns out that there is a company in the US, Boatpix.com, that shoots major yachting events from very low-flying helicopters. Evidently, they shoot random boats as well, because they were flittering over Galveston Bay on Saturday and we became a target. As it happened, I had my K10D with mounted DA 18-250 at the ready, and grabbed a series of shots of the encounter; they are as follows:

Approach:

First exchange:

Second exchange:

Engagement ends:

I'd hoped to post reciprocal images taken by the bird, assuming I could download a couple of them from the website for a nominal fee. Wrong! They'll sell you a file, but the charge is 500 bucks! (two for 750, 1000 for all they have of your boat). I love to share stuff with you folks on the forum, but not that much. Heck, even the smallest print (16x20") is $250. I guess it costs a bunch to fly helicopters.

Jer
Views: 1,231
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jer, $500!!!! yikes! another example of what people think boaters will pay. I guess it costs a lot to fly a chopper but still. But they probably do OK. Tho to read about Rosenthal and etc all the great sailing photogs say the most interesting shots are from as close to the waterline as you can get. Anyway, really nice series, especially the third one. Good shot!

NaCl(what do you mean this screw costs $5! )H2O
05-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hay Jer,
They must figure if a person is willing to pay a couple thousand dollars for a little piece of cavas cut in a triangle to hang on their bow, they would be willing to pay a lousy $250 for a photo of it.

Ken
05-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer,

You captured some pretty dog'on good images. Perhaps you should sell him yours for his going rate. Maybe even swap out at worst.

I know choppers are expensive. I covered, as a photographer, the NYC Marathon for three years back in the late 70's. I rented the choppers for $300/hr back then (maybe because the demand was so high for such an event) so I figure its gotta cost a bundle now.

BTW, your third image is fantastic. kind of reminds me of the helicopter that was taken down in JAWS III.

Stephen

05-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is a great series Jer. It is a bit like the old western duels. The third image is perfect.

Cheers
Eddie
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys, for the nice comments - I really enjoyed shooting these images.

Jer