Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Grim Look of Mal de Mer
Posted By: Sailor, 05-26-2008, 04:36 PM

This is the last (I promise) of my posts on this week's sailing adventures. Yesterday was windy with confused seas. My granddaughter, Claire, insisted on playing below (at about 20 degrees of heel in a roasting cabin); against the better judgement of all of us seasoned sailors we consented - even my daughter Abbie (Claire's Mom), who practically grew up on boats. Predictably, after a few moments Claire called for her mother complaining of feeling "gaggy". Abbie, the knowledgeable sailor Mom, wisked her into the cockpit, where Claire promptly fell asleep. Here are a couple of images I shot of Claire before and after the onset of mal de mer. The second one is gastly, but recovery - thankfully - was quick; when Claire awoke, she said, "Let's sail some more".

Jer

Views: 3,085
05-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jer, nothing like a hot stuffy cabin bouncing around to get the old stomach a goin'. I've been lucky, I've never been seasick, even in some very rough weather on a sport fisherman (which has a LOT worse movement than a sailboat) but I've seen many friends look like your grand daughter. In the future you can show her that second shot and say "I knew you when you were REALLY green!"

NaCl(but it sounds like she's a real sailor)H2O
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Priceless.
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I appreciate the very nice comments, gents.

Jer

05-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
omg - reminds me of my first trip on a boat - a whale watching tour gone bad off Cape Cod - I was in high school and there was a storm offshore which made for some really nasty swells.
Half of my friends were sick - I was fine until one friend of mine sat down next to me and ralphed into a plastic bag. Ugh...

I went out on the deck and froze, rather than feeling sick.
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That green face reminds me of my offshore survival training course. Nothing like 20+ guys in an enclosed rubber raft in 10 foot seas.

That is a picture you will have to keep for life. I can see birthday cards and little gags (pardon the pun) for the rest of her life.