Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

another yard sale Cheapy!!!!! (7 pics)
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 05-26-2008, 07:51 PM

Yep you guessed it.. Kim scored again.. I really like yard sales... This time I found a 70-300. Its little older and a bit heavy.. but it was only 10 bucks so I can't complain much... It is promaster 70-300- 1:4 -5.6 ..

It is semi automatic.. The reason I say that it wont got all the way out on its own but once I get it where I want it, it will adjust on its own.. I am guessing it is because of its age and its getting tired.. but it still takes some nice shots.. See!!!!!!

It seems to have some descent bokeh..

and holds the color well..

and even can hold it own on the abstract level.. .lol

I tried to find some birds but it was the middle of the day when I went out so they were not very active.. but the flowers gave me an idea of how my little 10 dollar special works.. .. I think it will be fine for what Im looking for..

Thanks for looking.. Kim
Views: 2,451
05-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
$10!!! What a great find. I have to start going to yard sales myself.

05-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm curious about the 'goes out all the way' Is it hard to zoom through the range? Or having some difficulty focusing?
It doesn't have difficulty focusing it just needs help stretching out.. LOL....
It is somewhat tempramental... for instance if you went from something 20 ft away to something 50 ft away.. and needed to go from 100 mm to 300mm it wont do it on its own.. I have manual focus it to the 300 mm.. (twist it out by hand) but then once you get it so it can focus it will hone in and sharpen on its own.. does that makes sense peter.. if not PM me and I will give you more information.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I really like the last abstract photo.
Thanks rparmar... I am glad you liked the abstract.. the more I look at it the more I like it.. It could be a great conversation piece..

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
Nice pics Kim I have this same lens, and for the price it is a fine one (for *your* price it's a fabulous one!)... It does have some problems hunting for focus in low light, and it's kinda soft at the top end of the zoom, but I sure like it for the things I use it for. You do have to manually flip the switch over to "Macro" but I can live with that Jim
Jim, actually this puppy is a bit older than yours even.... it is just a straight 70 -300 there is no Macro option on it. There is a space that looks like it might be for the that but it is just filled in... so there is no macro function on my lens.. but that is ok.. I really wanted the extra focal length.. thanks for the info though...

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
$10!!! What a great find. I have to start going to yard sales myself.
Hey Frank.. are you back from China!! Loved the pictures you shared... A little hint on the yard sales.. get a couple papers if you are going to go and look at the contents of the yard sales... If they are big enough or if they are estate sales then they will list general areas of stuff .. for instance.. . furniture, kitchen wares, mechanic or auto stuff, cameras, or photography equipment.. Most of the time it is usually Cannon or Nikon stuff.. but as you know.. sometimes.. its pentax compatible!!!!

Thank you everyone for the great comments on my latest bargon.. I have to say I have been pretty lucky finding the two the I have found.

Kim
05-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Looks like you got a great bargin there Kim. I look at all the yard sales I go to and have only seen lenses once. That was before I got the SLR. (
05-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow! talk about a cheap bargain!! nice work!!! those shots look really nice kim!!! awesome.. keep it up