Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Birchcamp Prong at 24-35 mm
Lens: M 24-35 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: East Tennessee ISO: 50 
Posted By: mole, 01-10-2015, 08:10 PM

Took a little 7 mile hike up Lower Higgins Creek and Birchcamp Prong recently. Just for fun, decided to stick with just one lens for this trip (although there were plenty more in the pack, just in case). So these are all taken with the M 24-35.

Lower Higgins and Birchcamp are both rich green streams in Rocky Fork Wilderness. Here's a typical early winter view of Lower Higgins Creek.

Lower Higgins' watershed is carpeted with boulders and moss...

There's a 100 foot high waterfall about a mile from the Lower Higgins Creek trailhead. Here's a view of the falls from the edge of the trail.

And here's how the water fall looks after climbing on down...

The damp habitat is perfect for fungi, like these old, almost-emptied puffballs...

Birchcamp Prong is a smaller stream, feeding into Lower Higgins Creek. It's full of "mini-waterfalls," like these two.

The name "birchcamp" comes from the abundant birch trees, and from the logging camp once located near this stream.

There's even an old logging truck near the upper reaches of the Prong.

Some small bird (probably a Phoebe) has taken advantage of the shelter inside the truck!

There's also a small lake at the upper end of Birchcamp prong. By the time we got there, thick fog had pretty much obscured any view of the lake and surrounding hills. (Will have to come back and photograph those views on a clearer day...)

This hike is uphill almost all the way in, and downhill almost all the way back, with only three unbridged creek crossings. So the puppies & I decided to put away the camera and just run back!

So what do you think? How did that old manual lens do on this trip? Thanks for your comments & suggestions!
Views: 1,207
01-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Think you gave us another great series. Really like the softness of the 5th shot and the fact that the bird has moved into the old logging truck. Sustainable housing at its best!
01-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots! Thanks for the tour of your wonderful hike, I really like your photos!
01-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Waterfalls never get tiring and these are beautiful. Another great series.

01-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your posts make me think I should move back to Knoxville...
01-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Think you gave us another great series. Really like the softness of the 5th shot and the fact that the bird has moved into the old logging truck. Sustainable housing at its best!
Sustainable Housing!
I almost didn't take that 5th shot - was in a hurry running back down the trail...

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
Beautiful shots! Thanks for the tour of your wonderful hike, I really like your photos!
You are too kind!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Waterfalls never get tiring and these are beautiful. Another great series.
Thanks! It's a very photogenic spot - you'll have to come visit sometime!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Your posts make me think I should move back to Knoxville...
Well, if you ever do move back, or even come back for a visit, let me know - perhaps we can find a trail to hike...
01-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice series.