Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Model Shoot
Posted By: little laker, 05-27-2008, 12:50 PM

These are some of the photographs from my first ever model shoot.
Please be nice about them, I've learned a lot already

And the Pentax Poster boy

I still have some processing to do, and I haven't even looked at the pic's on my K100D yet
Views: 3,284
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like #3 a lot!

With a little PP here (I would have cropped avay a bit of the bottom part, added some vignetting or blur in the edges and maybe a little colour and curves adjusting) it will be a great picture. I'm getting a definite mediterranean feeling from it.

#4 is good because it has a Pentax in it, (and some interesting lightning) but not as good as #3 I think.

#1 and 2 are both OK. If you didn't cut off one of his feet in #2 it would have been much better though. #1 might have benefited from either moving back one or two steps or going a little closer.

All in all it looks like you had a good time and got some keepers from your first model shoot!
05-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Shashinki,

With #1 and 4 in my personal opinion his hair blends too much into the background. I should have used some back lighting to cure this
I'll see if I can do something in Photoshop later.

With #1 I was contending with a railing just like the one he's leaning on. Which is why he's legless there
You can see it in #4, being pretty well the same spot.

Your right about #2, I should have been back just a little further and gotten his foot more in the photo. Plus some creative lighting would have helped as well.

Which leaves #3, my personal favorite.
In my opinion about the only improvement I could have made was to have the flash pointed down a little.

I'm the third photographer who's shot him in a week, and the only one whom tried some artistic shots
05-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Stu,
I think you are very brave to tackle this sort of thing. Having (had) a pro photog as a father-in-law I was often party to discussions about what makes a good or bad shot.

It appeared to break down into several categories:
  • Technical detail
  • Subject / model
  • message being portrayed or reason for the shoot

A very complex business that was the subject of many long discussions. As I say, I admire your (& that of Ben, Chris, Hamildt etc) bravery for even going there. Well done.

Cheers
Grant

05-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Good effort Stu. I'd agree with the points above and looking at each I'd say 3 is my favourite of the group. I like the lighting in 2 the best but the pose is too forced. No one would read a book in that position. Might have looked more normal if he was looking at a map or tourist pamphlet or sitting in a more normal position.

The lighting in 3 is pretty good and has nice shadow detail but might be a touch bright. Too 'flash like' and could have used a diffuser or umbrella to soften it.

Good work though Stu. Much Much better than my first try.
05-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Very nice job Stu. I like the pose in the first shot very much, but I like the lighting in the third better. You did a fine job for your first attempt.
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My EXIF tool says Sigma SD14.. is it?

05-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I think you got all the poses right Stu but I think in number 3, maybe the models eyes are looking in the wrong direction.
Gary
05-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great Start..

Great Start Stu... I like them all...

But I think my fav or the bunch is actually #2.. the book one.. To me that one has the best overall coloring.. He blends in more and doesn't look like a model and looks more natural. lAlthough as someone mentioned the squat really doesn't work but for next time have him lean on one knee or lay on his side with the book on the ground..

Just thinking out loud..... Nice shots.. Job well done!! Kim
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good stuff Stu,
Outdoor portraits can be challenging - good effort with those...
I like 3 & 4 because of the lighting as well.
It's hard getting the exposure right with the harsh sunlight, but they've come out good.
Well done.
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Stu,
I think you are very brave to tackle this sort of thing. Having (had) a pro photog as a father-in-law I was often party to discussions about what makes a good or bad shot.

It appeared to break down into several categories:
  • Technical detail
  • Subject / model
  • message being portrayed or reason for the shoot

A very complex business that was the subject of many long discussions. As I say, I admire your (& that of Ben, Chris, Hamildt etc) bravery for even going there. Well done.

Cheers
Grant
Thanks Grant,

My model was actually really good, although he's also a newbie at it.

I'll probably be doing more shoots with him, and I have a couple of future prospects as well.

I know that it'll take a long time to get anywhere near the ability of both Chris, and Hamildt. And I'll probably never catch up to Ben, but it'll be a fun challenge.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Good effort Stu. I'd agree with the points above and looking at each I'd say 3 is my favourite of the group. I like the lighting in 2 the best but the pose is too forced. No one would read a book in that position. Might have looked more normal if he was looking at a map or tourist pamphlet or sitting in a more normal position.

The lighting in 3 is pretty good and has nice shadow detail but might be a touch bright. Too 'flash like' and could have used a diffuser or umbrella to soften it.

Good work though Stu. Much Much better than my first try.
Thanks Peter,

I've tried fiddling with the white balance on #3, and it's really helped.
I'm just too tired to post it tonight. I'll see if I can tomorrow sometime

About # 2 there. I would have loved to get him sitting on a towel or blanket. If I had brought one.
We've had some down right miserable weather lately. So the ground was just too wet.
I wouldn't have sat on it, so I sure couldn't ask him to.

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Very nice job Stu. I like the pose in the first shot very much, but I like the lighting in the third better. You did a fine job for your first attempt.
Thanks Diane

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
My EXIF tool says Sigma SD14.. is it?
That is correct Ricardo, that's my alternate system.
I took a few photographs with my K100D when he wasn't posing with it, however I haven't worked on them yet.
I don't like the poses as much, so I might not use them. That would be my fault, although it was a good idea that just didn't work
05-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think you got all the poses right Stu but I think in number 3, maybe the models eyes are looking in the wrong direction.
Gary
Thanks Gary,
I'll see what I can do about that when I re-post it. I took 4 or 5 very similar photographs then, and something might be just a little bit better.
There's only one other pic that shows the background like that one though, so I can't make any promises.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Great Start Stu... I like them all...

But I think my fav or the bunch is actually #2.. the book one.. To me that one has the best overall coloring.. He blends in more and doesn't look like a model and looks more natural. lAlthough as someone mentioned the squat really doesn't work but for next time have him lean on one knee or lay on his side with the book on the ground..

Just thinking out loud..... Nice shots.. Job well done!! Kim
Thanks Kim,
With a little luck the ground will be dry next time. And I'll hopefully have something for him to sit on.
Plus a book that I didn't have to borrow from the security guard
(I really did have to borrow it from the security guard for the shot)

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good stuff Stu,
Outdoor portraits can be challenging - good effort with those...
I like 3 & 4 because of the lighting as well.
It's hard getting the exposure right with the harsh sunlight, but they've come out good.
Well done.
Thanks Ash
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like the last one best Stu. But I really think you need to take more photos of this model. He is very easy on the eye. ;-)
05-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks LaRee,
Don't worry, we'll work together again soon. We just have to come up with some more ideas.

I'll probably be using my K100 as a prop in the near future, but quite possibly with a female next time :ugh:
05-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice one mate.. i really like the lighting on the 2nd one..