Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Comet Lovejoy 2014
Lens: DA*300 f4 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 01-16-2015, 06:31 AM

Finally a clear night, but unfortunately I was in the city, so the sky wasn't very dark. Still, the comet was just visible with the naked eye and cool to see with binoculars. While I was at it, I also took a photo of the Orion Nebula.

This really demonstrates the combination of the K5iis, DA*300, DA 1.4 TC and O-GPS1. With darker skies and a stack to remove the noise, the results should be spectacular!
Views: 1,027
01-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, #2 is brilliant!~
01-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
Wow, #2 is brilliant!~
Thanks! I was really surprised how good it was. I'll have to get out into the countryside with dark skies and try again.
01-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
hjw

Photos: Albums
Hi Rob
Great start! You should really do some stacking. That will bring out a lot more of the nebula. And while you are at it (coming from down under), have a look at the south. Above the southern cross is the Carina nebula, which is bigger and brighter than Orion. It's a fantastic area of photography. Both pictures were taken with a K-30 and a 55-300 DAL lens.
Keep the good work up !
By the way, there is a great freeware program called Stellarium (www.stellarium.org/) to find targets...

Attached Images

01-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjw Quote
Hi Rob
Great start! You should really do some stacking. That will bring out a lot more of the nebula. And while you are at it (coming from down under), have a look at the south. Above the southern cross is the Carina nebula, which is bigger and brighter than Orion. It's a fantastic area of photography. Both pictures were taken with a K-30 and a 55-300 DAL lens.
Keep the good work up !
By the way, there is a great freeware program called Stellarium (www.stellarium.org/) to find targets...
Thanks! I haven't been able to get the stacking software to work in Windows 7 x64. In this case I didn't have time to drive out into the countryside for darker sky or to stack anyway. I just wanted to see if I could catch something of the comet, and since I hadn't tried the lens combination for stars before, I wanted to see how the nebula came up. Your images look like they're closer to 1:1 crops; there's more detail in the nebula photo but I didn't crop it so tightly. I'll try again with the K3 rather than the K5iis when there's clear sky on a weekend. Well done with those images!
01-21-2015, 03:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here I show a first cautious attempt to get a picture of the comet. Still in the trial period of my GPS module I took a very 'conservative approach' and got 14 shots of 15 seconds each with the 2.5/135mm lens @ 2.5. The results then were stacked - surely enough room for optimization here
Camera was the K-r, which I like very much for this purpose.
Attached Images

01-21-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
Here I show a first cautious attempt to get a picture of the comet. Still in the trial period of my GPS module I took a very 'conservative approach' and got 14 shots of 15 seconds each with the 2.5/135mm lens @ 2.5. The results then were stacked - surely enough room for optimization here
Camera was the K-r, which I like very much for this purpose.
Well done! I've got to try to figure out why the stacking program doesn't work on my computer. You did really well getting so much of the tail!