Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 151 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Leopard Frog

Green Frog:

I think this one is a Mink Frog - hard to tell from Green. Frogs are very reflective - must remember to use a polarizer next time.

01-20-2015, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
NSW Mid North Coast frogs

Frogging always results in a late night ...... but satisfying too.

Last night was no exception - but conditions were very challenging. Rain was heavy, everything wet and flooded. No WR lens! So I pulled out the Vivitar 90mm f2.5 Series 1.

The first two are the Green-thighed Frog (Litoria brevipalmata). Uncommon and very hard to find species. Only calls on the wettest of wettest nights and does so once or twice a year. Once they breed for the year that is it until the next. I got lucky last night.

The third frog is the Dainty Green Tree Frog (Litoria gracilenta) - abundant and can be found in banana hands in the supermarket.

The fourth is Tyler's Tree Frog (Litoria tyleri) - very common.

The last is the Brown-stripped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peronii). Very common.

I saw other frogs but was unable to photograph due to conditions. Will next time
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Wild Mark; 01-20-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: species names
02-05-2015, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

Lots of beautiful frog photo's in this thread.

I haven't taken many frog or toad photo's with my Pentax gear for some reason. I guess I haven't spend much time looking for them over the last couple of years.
Here are a couple with my K5ii and various lenses:

Here is one with a Tamron 90mm I tried out when I first got my Pentax K5ii and took it on a trip to Texas. It was one of the first pics I took with that camera.
I ended up not liking the Tamron and got rid of it after that trip.
Couch's Spadefoot (Scaphiopus couchii)

Northern Leopard Frog from Utah with Sigma 18-250 macro. I'm not too happy with this shot. I've taken many better shots of this species. This was mostly just a quick voucher shot in harsh lighting.

Here is a toad I found in Mexico which I haven't identified yet taken with the Sigma 18-250.

I guess I'll have to take more frog pictures this year.
02-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #34
Pentaxian

From years ago , taken with my *ist DS.

02-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here are a couple from a zoo/aquarium visit.

Tim
02-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here are a couple from a zoo/aquarium visit.

Tim
I've got one of those..... From Birdland in Niagara Falls.. taken by Tessfully

06-06-2015, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is winter now in the southern hemisphere ...... but, locally, we get the occasional 25-27 degree day and out the frogs come to play

Pictured below in the endangered Giant Barred Frog from the mid north coast of NSW Australia - the animal is about twice the size of my fist - shot with FA100/2.8 macro

07-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Metamorphed Leseur's Tree Frog

This little frog is a fraction of its adult size. At three centimetres it will eventually reach a size of about 8-10cm (if it can avoid the Black Snakes).

OK, this thread is definitely quiet now, even though the majority of pentaxians are enjoying summer in the northern hemisphere - shame on you northerners
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
07-21-2015, 10:24 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Forum Member

Hi Wild Mark,
I also LOVE frogs since my early childhood and since I am taking photos, I take frog Photos where ever possible. Unfortunately, my place is much worse than yours for those like me loving amphibians and reptils - here in Germany, we have only 12 frog species and only 4 of them can be called "common"; the rest is heavily endangered, living in small, very isolated places and are rarly found. I have never seen 5 out of this number allthough I am always looking for frogs! Iīd really like to join you in one of your frog excursions in Australia - unfortunately you and your frog paradise are situated on the other side of the globe Here are some of my "Pentax-made" frog photos. The picture shows Bufo bufo - one of the most common frogs. It lives in very different areas and climates between Norway and Sweden and the mediterranean coast of North Africa. It only touches water when producing eggs. I took the pictures in the Black forest area in Germany and they are showing the amplexus and several male fighting for one female (there are many more male than female toads when arriving at the reproduction sites)
Gear: Pentax 67II; Auto Bellows; SMC PENTAX 67 MACRO 1:4 135mm; Fuji Velvia 50
Attached Images

Last edited by Fritzenpapa; 07-21-2015 at 10:30 PM.
07-21-2015, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow those are great shots!!! Especially the last.

I am very lucky in my part of the world. So many species and, in the main, relatively easy to find (as an ecologist by trade). I have often thought about hosting wildlife tours. I have seen so much in such short distances from habitation. Bizarre, interesting and beautiful. In summer I could easily show 30 frog species inside three-four days. In fact, there are places where I could find 10-15 species in a night without too much of a sweat. And this is with ought too much travel from Sydney. Venturing further afield the opportunities expand significantly.

Picture that, a wildlife tour with all the pentax gear provided for your shooting pleasure. All you need is your Pentax camera body, spare batteries and a sharp eye.
07-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #41
Forum Member

A great picture! So many different frogs in one night - you are really living in a great place. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to work for six years in Sidney - unfortunately, my wife didnīt want to leave our country (and her parents).
Whwn the agriculture in Germany was "industrialized" in the 1960s, many small humid habitats such as waterfilled trenches, swamps and small lakes disapeared - many formerly common amphibians desapeared as well and remained only in few isolatet natural habitats. Only the two "toughest" species Rana temporaria and Bufo bufo remained common, because they inhabit forests and gardens and donīt stick to very spacial habitats.
07-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #42
Forum Member

In Germany we have this proverb: If the mountain is not coming to the prophet, the prophet has to come to the mountain. Following the sense of this proverb, I am using those opportunities for frog photos, that are taking me to different countries. Two years ago, I visited a relief project in India supported by the school I am working for. The guest house I was living in had a small lake and a small brook that was used for watering the cows of the neighbour farmers. I found and photographed two species close to the guest house. It was spring time and so both species formed choirs singing through the night.
First photo: Bufo melanostictus. Second photo: Fejervarya limnocharis. Both photos taken at Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, Northern India. Gear: Pentax 645; extension tubes; Pentax 645 120mm Macro; Macro ring light; Fuji Velvia 100.
Attached Images

07-26-2015, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

I've taken some frog photos, but wasn't patient enough to get really really close. These were found in a botanical garden in Strasbourg, probably a fairly common, boring species
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 11:27 AM.
07-27-2015, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hoesch's pygmy toad ( Pyontonophrynus hoeschi ) from the Namibian desert Max length 1 and 1/4 inch and they will breed with about half and inch of rain and dig themselves in to wait for the next rain in a year or two or three. Lovely to see.. No macro gear. K5 with 18-135 and flashlight
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-01-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
This little frog is a fraction of its adult size. At three centimetres it will eventually reach a size of about 8-10cm (if it can avoid the Black Snakes).

OK, this thread is definitely quiet now, even though the majority of pentaxians are enjoying summer in the northern hemisphere - shame on you northerners
Hello Wild Mark: Yes it is summer up here in the US state of Delaware but its been very hot and very dry which is not good for frogs. I did get two photos, one of them today, of one very familiar frog on this thread: the green frog (Lithobates Clamitans) and one new to this thread, the Pickerel Frog (Lithobates Palustris), enjoy the pictures. The Pickerel looks like the leopard frog but is tan colored with no green coloring and a parallel row of squarish spots on its back.

John
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by jddwoods; 08-01-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typomcorrection