Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Alina - Film & Digital (but mostly film) and a cautionary tale
Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 50 
Posted By: alan_smithee_photos, 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM

Alina is an up and coming model getting lots of work in LA and NY. One of the most strikingly beautiful people I've ever shot. (She goes by @ohthumbelina on Instagram and elsewhere; lots more of here online.)

We got lucky with a break in the rain last week in Seattle and had a somewhat muddy walk around the Washington Park Arboretum. I realized after I got there that my K1000 was loaded with a half-shot roll of Delta 3200 from an indoor shoot (shot at 1600). I was worried that it was going to be way too bright out there to get good results from it but I love the way those shots turned out. Unlike my other screw up on the shoot which I'll mention at the end.

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander Ultron 40mm 2.0 SL II

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II

K1000, K 135mm 2.5, Ilford Delta 3200 (@1600)

Nikon F4, AF 50mm 1.8, Portra 400

And for something different...
K1000, K 135mm 2.5, Lomo Purplechrome 400 (designed to simulate a discontinued infrared film in C-41)

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II

Rolleiflex 3.5, Fuji Acros 100

K-5 IIs, Voigtlander Ultron 40mm 2.0 SL II

And now for my heartbreaking story: I had loaded my Nikon body up with a roll of Portra 400 I found in my bag. I thought it might've been a roll I'd partially shot before, but I knew I'd noted down the frames shot on it (in the hopes that I'd load it up again, forward it through those frames, and get most of the rest of the roll out of it), but I didn't see any note so I figured I was safe. Well, I wasn't.

I took which felt to me like some excellent backlit shots of Alina (the one immediately above is one from the K-5) and was super excited to see them. When I got them I saw that all of those shots were exposed on top of the previously exposed frames! I don't know if my pen mark came off or what, all I know is I was absolutely gutted - GUTTED - to see that what might've been my favorite images from the shoot were pretty much ruined. <sigh>

(Look at that! It would've been awesome.)

That's what I get for trying to save my pennies and conserve my film!
Views: 3,825
01-22-2015, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We can only commiserate with you, Alan. Many of us who have shot film frequently would have a similar experience with accidental double-exposure, but not necessarily with your particular situation! Sod's Law at work, it seems, with the best shots, potentially, the ones involved.

I can see why Alina is a rising star model, with her elfin looks and natural appearance, and your work shows her talent beautifully. As usual, all nicely done, and thank you for sharing.

Rob
01-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Nice serie Using a lot of different media!
The voigtlander seems to be a real good lens!
01-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually like the last one the best!

01-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I actually like the last one the best!
That's what kills me!

I love the multi-exposure look, but I *really* wish this one was cleanly single-exposed.

Thanks all!
01-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I like the first Delta 3200 shot second best, and the first black & white K3 shot a close third.

Seems funny to me as someone who doesn't peruse much fashion photography that these models don't smile. Pouty works fine, just not all the time! (This isn't a criticism of your photos, but the genre as a whole.)
01-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
This is some incredible work here! I am one of those people that thinks he's an 'okay' photographer then I see this stuff and I realize I have A LOT to learn. I need you to explain how the heck you metered this:

That just blows me away and it's actually my personal favorite. I've done plenty of portraits but I've never achieved results like that. How the heck did you completely blow out the background in nature and achieve that photo? I know it might seem simple to you but I'm just puzzled. I've tried that same sort of photo countless times and never got a result like that. PLEASE if you can let me know.

This is one of the best nature portrait sets I've seen hands down regardless of the photographer. Great stuff here!

obin

01-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Seems funny to me as someone who doesn't peruse much fashion photography that these models don't smile. Pouty works fine, just not all the time! (This isn't a criticism of your photos, but the genre as a whole.)
I hear you. I get the "drama" and such, and I love introspection as much as the next person, but it's fun when you can catch a smile. (Also, I think a convincing smile is actually pretty hard to pull off as a model. At least that's how it seems.) This is pretty much the closest I got:
01-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #9

Great series! I love the "film" feel even though I'm more of a digital guy myself.

My favorite is this one:
01-23-2015, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx everyone for all the kind comments. I didn't take a ton of shots that day compared to some shoots, and we only shot for about 90 mins, much of which was spent tromping around in the mud. But, aside from the eff-up with the multiple exposures, I'm super happy with the results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
This is some incredible work here! I am one of those people that thinks he's an 'okay' photographer then I see this stuff and I realize I have A LOT to learn. I need you to explain how the heck you metered this:

That just blows me away and it's actually my personal favorite. I've done plenty of portraits but I've never achieved results like that. How the heck did you completely blow out the background in nature and achieve that photo? I know it might seem simple to you but I'm just puzzled. I've tried that same sort of photo countless times and never got a result like that. PLEASE if you can let me know.

This is one of the best nature portrait sets I've seen hands down regardless of the photographer. Great stuff here!
The short answer is I had the F4 on matrix, aimed and clicked the shutter. The longer answer is that the background was the reflection of the lake (you can see it better in the shot I posted in the responses where she's half-smiling). The sunlight on the water just sort of blew out. I thought it would blow out some but was surprised it did so much. (I bet it wouldn't have done that with, e.g., an F5's much more sensitive multi-segment metering).

I haven't put that many rolls through the F4 and I'm still learning how it works, so I can't really claim full credit here. But I definitely like the results I've been getting.

Again, really appreciate the kind words!