Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2015 Houston Auto Show - Sports Cars
Camera: Panasonic LX-5 Photo Location: Houston, TX ISO: 50 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Although I bought our new BMW M4 less than two months ago, Connie and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Houston Auto Show on Wednesday. It was, for us, a fun afternoon (although beer was 8 bucks a can ), and while we plan no automotive purchases in the near future, we took a leisurely look at potential replacements for Connie's Nissan Rogue that she might consider a year or two down the road. It also gave me the chance to catalogue (in the back of my mind) some acquisition targets of a more sporting nature that I might consider sometime in the future () - and I've attached some snapshots of three cars at the show that really turn my crank.

Jer

Corvette Z06; with a list price of less than 80 grand (US), this car has got to be the biggest performance bargain in the sports car world today. I could do with fewer boy-racer do dads, but - overall - I think this is a striking and exciting automobile:

Porsche 911 Carrera GTS; the GTS combines a 430 HP version of the 3.8-liter MA1 flat six with Porsche's high-tech chassis options, and I'd sure be happy to have one in my garage (I'm a Porsche guy after all). However, big changes are coming to the engines for the 911/Boxster/Cayman architecture, with normally aspirated mills being replaced by turbocharged flat fours and sixes in the near future:

Jaguar F-Type Coupe and Roadster; these things are so beautiful, I get weak in the knees just looking at them.

Views: 2,711
01-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I could do with fewer boy-racer do dads, but - overall - I think this is a striking and exciting automobile:
Delete the Z07 trim package from the Z06 upgrade, leaving a screamingly fast roadster that doesn't look like something from South Beach on Washington Avenue at 2am.
01-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oops!

. . . . . . . . I forgot to include the BMW i8.

Jer

01-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think the Corvette is probably a good value - though I will not be getting one anytime soon...

We have the Grand National (not necessarily Buicks) show this weekend :-)

01-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

photographs that make a man drool, thanks for including the Vette, would love to have this, but alas it wouldn't tow very well behind our motorhome. Thanks buddy for the dream cars here.
01-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, cars are not my #1 hobby but nevertheless these are nice photographs. I know how notoriously bad the lighting on most car shows is. Good job.
01-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think the Corvette is probably a good value - though I will not be getting one anytime soon...

We have the Grand National (not necessarily Buicks) show this weekend :-)
I think it is too. I'm looking forward to your pics from the weekend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
photographs that make a man drool, thanks for including the Vette, would love to have this, but alas it wouldn't tow very well behind our motorhome. Thanks buddy for the dream cars here.
I was, of course, thinking of you when I shot these pics, old buddy. The Vette's such a beautiful car - I wish I had another space in the garage.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Jer, cars are not my #1 hobby but nevertheless these are nice photographs. I know how notoriously bad the lighting on most car shows is. Good job.
Thanks very much, Heinrich. The white balance drove me nuts!

Jer

01-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cars dreams are made of.
01-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Cars dreams are made of.
They are delicious, indeed, EM. These cars are relatively affordable; in a upcoming thread, I'll be posting some shots of super cars that cost far more.

Jer

---------- Post added 01-24-2015 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Delete the Z07 trim package from the Z06 upgrade, leaving a screamingly fast roadster that doesn't look like something from South Beach on Washington Avenue at 2am.
I suspect that would definitely help.

Jer
01-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice shots Jer...I enjoyed! I read an article last week of the engine change coming at Porsche and the top dogs there were generally unhappy about it. I think it has to do with EPA standards and in the article, it was pointed out that the supposed benefits were in reality negative.

I have no problem with turbos, my little TT would not be much without a turbo, but a nice big V8...it isn't! I hope Porsche gets it right..or as right as they can, or there will be a lot of unhappy drivers.

Regards!
01-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Nice series Jer with fine looking wheels.--capn zap
01-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots Jer...I enjoyed! I read an article last week of the engine change coming at Porsche and the top dogs there were generally unhappy about it. I think it has to do with EPA standards and in the article, it was pointed out that the supposed benefits were in reality negative.

I have no problem with turbos, my little TT would not be much without a turbo, but a nice big V8...it isn't! I hope Porsche gets it right..or as right as they can, or there will be a lot of unhappy drivers.

Regards!
Hey, Rupert, thanks much, and yeah the anticipated expansion of turbocharged engines in the 911/Boxster/Cayman architecture beyond the current 911 Turbo and Turbo S apparently was officially confirmed last week at the Detroit show. Since Porsche has been building the 911 Turbo since the '70s, I'm pretty confident that the company will utilize the technology very well in both the flat fours and sixes we'll see in a couple of years.

After owning three turbocharged cars over the years, I'm pretty enthusiastic about the "new breed" of turbos which can both create gobs of low-end torque yet redline above 7500 rpm. Our new 3.0 Liter, twin-turbo BMW M4 makes 425 HP and 406 lb-ft of torque, which - according to Car & Driver - is good for a 12.0-sec quarter mile @ 119 mph; to put those numbers in context, the same magazine clocked the new C-7 Corvette reaching the quarter in 12.2 sec @ 117 mph.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice series Jer with fine looking wheels.--capn zap
Thanks much, Capn. We always enjoy the Houston show although it's not in the same league as New York, Detroit and L.A.

Jer
01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Wow, these cars are sweet! The Vette really caught my eye...look'n real good!
01-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great stuff Jer.

I'm not usually a fan of BMW styling but I like this model.

Never been a fan of Corvette styling since the mid 1960s and this model is no exception.

That being said under the hood is where Corvette has always been at its best. A bargain by most standards in the two seat "near supercar" market.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 01-26-2015 at 07:17 AM.
01-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
Wow, these cars are sweet! The Vette really caught my eye...look'n real good!
Hey, Tom - thanks so much. I'm glad you liked 'em.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great stuff Jer.

I'm not usually a fan of BMW styling but I like this model.

Never been a fan of Corvette styling since the mid 1960s and this model is no exception.

That being said under the hood is where Corvette has always been at its best. A bargain by most standards in the two seat "near supercar" market.

Tom G
I sure appreciate it, Tom. I sat in a BMW i8 last November at a BMW Driving Experience, but didn't get to drive one (I posted some pics). It's cool but ingress and egress is "interesting." I haven't driven the C-7 yet, but I plan to do so down the road sometime.

Jer