Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Going way way back in time.
Lens: 18-250 Pentax Camera: K5 IIs Photo Location: saugus Ma. ISO: 50 
Posted By: charliezap, 01-24-2015, 12:41 PM

I posted this picture for the Weekly Challenge (history) but I'm sharing it here because some may find it interesting.This piece weighs about 5lbs.--charliezap

This has been passed down to my wife. In the 1930's her grandfather found this Indian axe in his backyard here in Saugus Ma. on the banks of the Saugus River. The Indians had camps along the river where they did their fishing and hunting. An expert told me that it probably dates back to the Archaic Age to maybe 4000 years ago and was most likely a tool instead of a weapon. I wish that when I hold it I could get a vibe or vision of who may have held this many many years ago but that is just wishful thinking on my part. A funny aside to this story is that my wife's mother was using this artifact as a door stop years ago before it was given to her.--charliezap

Here is the story that was done on it almost 5 yrs ago.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/24767-anci...-doorstop.html

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 1,520
01-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool!

Jim
01-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Very cool!

Jim
Thanks Jim--It's one hell of a paperweight.--charliezap
01-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very interesting artifact Charlie and I enjoyed the link also. I think the estimate on worth is way low. TFS.....

01-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
very interesting artifact Charlie and I enjoyed the link also. I think the estimate on worth is way low. TFS.....
Thanks Bob--I don't know what it's really worth but it is in a safe place.--charliezap
01-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What an amazing artifact. The thought that someone held and used this piece 4000 years ago right in the area you live has got to be one of awe.

Jer
01-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What an amazing artifact. The thought that someone held and used this piece 4000 years ago right in the area you live has got to be one of awe.

Jer
Thanks Jer.Maybe I should let a physic hold it.--capn zap

01-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it's really cool that you have a piece of history in your hands, congrats!
01-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
I think it's really cool that you have a piece of history in your hands, congrats!
Thanks Tom--If that piece could only talk.--charliezap
01-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A marvelous artifact and well presented. I have an Australian Aboriginal axehead that is very different to this one, with nowhere near the finish as on this one. In the next few days I will get a photo of it to post.
07-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
I posted this picture for the Weekly Challenge (history) but I'm sharing it here because some may find it interesting.This piece weighs about 5lbs.--charliezap

This has been passed down to my wife. In the 1930's her grandfather found this Indian axe in his backyard here in Saugus Ma. on the banks of the Saugus River. The Indians had camps along the river where they did their fishing and hunting. An expert told me that it probably dates back to the Archaic Age to maybe 4000 years ago and was most likely a tool instead of a weapon. I wish that when I hold it I could get a vibe or vision of who may have held this many many years ago but that is just wishful thinking on my part. A funny aside to this story is that my wife's mother was using this artifact as a door stop years ago before it was given to her.--charliezap

Ancient Axe Used as Doorstop
Beautiful ground stone axe.
07-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I love old artifacts like this. I'm like you.... if you could only get a "vision" of what it's past held. If it was a weapon, it could certainly cause a lot of hurt!
07-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love this kinda stuff! You've done a really nice job of recording it.
07-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote

Ancient Axe Used as Doorstop
interesting story here! nice one!
07-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wow interesting read TFS