Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Identify This Fungus?
Lens: Bigma Camera: K5 Photo Location: Texas ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Rupert, 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM

I turned 70 back in November and my old eyes are not like they used to be. It appears that with the unseasonably warm weather here in the latter part of January, (upper70s!) some of my bird feeders have developed a large fungal growth.
I wasn't certain what this was, my eyes were not focusing just right, so I asked for help from Otis....we all know that Otis knows everything and is never wrong.

He identified it as a fast growing fungus, but refused to identify the particular type of fungus, for reasons unknown? When I go out to clean the feeder, it seems to disappear, and if I refill the feeder, in no time it appears again...very baffling? Any of you guys have any ideas of what type of fungus this may be? It is devouring my bird seed like crazy and I can't afford to keep stocking these feeders...as I'm saving for some new glasses.
Regards!

Views: 1,077
01-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sciurus niger otisicus. Known to be invasive and a health risk to humans who resist sharing Arachis hypogaea. No known method of complete control but placing strategic rings of hypogaea around tree trucks can mitigate the problem.
01-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Every Spring, I trap a lot this fungus and take it a few miles away and release it to wooded areas.
01-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This fungus torments my dogs. Sometimes they kill this fungus!

01-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At my neighbors feeder this fungus is the bane of all her birdseed. Since it has become a colony I believe the proper word for it now is Fungi.
01-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I appreciate the comments....I didn't realize this was such a troublesome and stubborn fungi. No wonder Otis refused to identify it to me, he was probably trying to keep my fears from escalating?
He did mention that he had researched and found that the best remedy is to replenish bird seed in record amounts, as this can cause the fungi to overindulge and end it's ability to habitate bird feeders. He gave me an example, and said I should strive to reach this goal....

As usual, it looks like Otis maybe right. I don't have any feeders that can accommodate a fungus of this size.....

Best Regards!
01-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

^ That fungus doesn't know when to say when.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't have any feeders that can accommodate a fungus of this size.....
Want one of my fungus traps?

01-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert - I don't think that's a rare fungus. I think it just may be the illusive tail that wags the dog.

Jer