Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2015 Houston Auto Show - Customizers
Camera: Panasonic LX5 Photo Location: Houston, TX ISO: 50 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-28-2015, 05:11 PM

This is my last post of photos from this year's Houston Auto Show and focuses on examples of the work of the city's custom houses, which occupied an amazing amount of real estate at the show. These places provide what you'd expect: egregious wheels, wild body modifications, custom paints and wraps (adhesive films that can be applied to a car's surface) and mechanical "upgrades." Frankly, I've never been impressed with this sort of thing - the prerogative of owners of relatively inexpensive cars with Boy Racer tastes in my admittedly minimalist view of automotive styling. I'm still largely unimpressed, but - as these photos indicate - tarting up cars is certainly not limited to cheap ones.

Jer

Since we very recently bought a BMW M4, I was amused to find that two M4s, having been subjected to customizers' ministrations, were on display. The first two M4 shots are of a car with a flat-finish wrap and some tricky wheels, while the other three show a car that has received a great deal of body modification, which - a representative told me - totaled about 25 grand US.

A Rolls covered with a flat-black wrap.

A two-tone Caddy ATS.

A couple of tricky Ferraris.

Tricksters Row.

Views: 1,657
01-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos as usual from you buddy, but I'm from the "old world" where stock is boss and put your money in what will get you there, the engine and drivetrain. Small mods are OK, but don't take away from the ride that will get you there.
01-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm with you, buddy. I have little use for this sort of thing, which to my minimalist eye, simply makes a beautiful, expensive car appear cartoonish or worse - ridiculous. However, there must be enough people who think otherwise to keep the companies in business.

Jer
01-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jer, great capture as usual ... but the Modifikation ...
Well, in Germany language we have a word for this: "verschlimmbessern" (next time we meet I will let you practise the pronounciation:-)). It means trying to improve things and make them worse!
Norbert

01-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Hi Jer, great capture as usual ... but the Modifikation ...
Well, in Germany language we have a word for this: "verschlimmbessern" (next time we meet I will let you practise the pronounciation:-)). It means trying to improve things and make them worse!
Norbert
Hey Norbert - I hope the New Year finds you and your family well!

I admire how Germans can pack so much meaning in a single - albeit long - word. I can sort of do that in English, but I require hyphens and the result is not suitable for a family-friendly forum.

Take care, my friend.

Jer