Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
$15 dollar fix to the 'blinking eye' flash problem
Posted By: Igilligan, 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM

So my daughters would always blink when I used the onboard flash... Their eyes were either closed or half closed on all the shots.

So I bought and old Vivitar 3500 thyristor flash unit for 15 bucks.

These are some of my first attempts at bounced flash... they are just snapshots, but at least their eyes are open...

Attachment 13079

And here is a Paper towel as diffuser / non-bounce shot... (paper towels are not great diffuser's.... it was a tad harsh...

Now I know I need to spend some real money on a good flash and diffuser

thanks for lookin'
Views: 3,067
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Igilligan

Wrong place

Sorry I meant to put this in the Camera Accessories section... what was I thinkin?
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Damn Brit

The B&W conversion is awesome Gus.
Gary
05-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Gary Gus

I have the same problem, which is one reason I'm rarely in front of a camera

05-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Igilligan

Thanks Gary and Stu

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The B&W conversion is awesome Gus.
Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I agree with Gary Gus

I have the same problem, which is one reason I'm rarely in front of a camera
Thanks to both of you for the comment... I thought the B&W might have been a bit harsh so it is good to see it thru you eyes.
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the bw one. Absolutely beautiful

Now I want to get a decent flash. I have an old Vivitar thyristor as well that I got when my first one was born (almost 18 years ago!!) but alas, it doesn't seem to be working. It was kind of a pain though because you have to use this dial to figure where to set everything. I got it when I only had my K1000 so I was fully manual then anyway. It was a good little flash.
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

These are fantastic Gus. I would consider them a little more than just "snap shots". And yes, their eyes are definately open. Well done. I love the first shot, )

05-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shots..

Nice shots Gus... Looks like you did find yourself a bargain..

I would agree with Diane, these are much more than just "snap shots". Some of these are just priceless..

#1 is a great blackmale shot.. and #2 is my favorite... what a genuine look you caught.. and the last one.. is a great black and white.. Excellant..

Thanks so much for sharing.. Kim
05-30-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You are definately way too HARSH on yourself. I would agree with all the above in that these are very nice captures.

On personal choices I would say #2 has excellent clarity and seems almost 3D. As a favourite I'm stuck between #4 and the B/W so I guess they both win in their own category - hehehehe.

The conversion is most excellent - you're way too harsh in your thoughts of it.
05-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Solved!
05-30-2008, 04:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the others Gus, really nice captures. And that B&W is defiinitely a wall hanger! BTW, Lithos...I hate to say this...but do people consider you a bit...er...weird?

NaCl(thanks for sharing Gus)H2O
05-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice! I also the Vivitar 3500. In fact, I ended up getting of them so I could have a backup. The fact that they only need 2 AA batteries is a plus. They have to be used in M mode, but that's fine with me because I don't use flash very often. I use it mainly to shoot my aquarium shots.
05-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Igilligan

Thank you to all...

Thanks for the really nice comments... I did not mean to be hard on myself... I have just seen such wonderful shots on here and was not sure the B&W measured up... but hey it is a 15 dollar flash and a 6mp camera... and I actually printed it and BAM, I love it.

I am actually very happy with my old flash and it does make me realize that I have had an anti-flash bias for all the P&S reasons... A great flash/ diffuser and some serious practice and I could be converted for sure.

To maxwell1295... I am very interested on how you use it on your aquarium? I tried the onboard on my little aquarium and got some shots but how do you actually use that tall flash?

these were my first attempts with a macro lens and the onboard flash...
Shrimps dont get redeye... they get mirror eye!
Attachment 13142

Attachment 13143