Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Men of Business
Lens: smC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: oculus, 02-04-2015, 06:39 AM

The men of business of Philadelphia. I really like how this one turned out, with the diagonal line of people moving left to right and city hall in the background (not to mention an advertisement with an image of "Rocky").

Last edited by oculus; 03-25-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Views: 740
02-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Men on a Mission! Cool shot for sure. I wonder how this photo would look were you to crop out most of the image on the right thus centering on the three men - it would probably take the shot out context, but might be worth a try.

Cool stuff.

Jer
02-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I wonder how this photo would look were you to crop out most of the image on the right thus centering on the three men - it would probably take the shot out context, but might be worth a try.

Jer
The stuff on the right does seem a tad superfluous. When I look at it, my eye moves from left to right through the faces of the men and then into the void of the bus stop and newspaper dispensers. Would you go for a more 1x1 ratio? Or cut off some of the bottom as well so that the left to right movement is maintained?
02-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oculus Quote
The stuff on the right does seem a tad superfluous.

Criticizing photography (much less practicing it!) isn't my long suit, but I'd argue that in terms of narrative, Sweat-pants Guy et al provide an essential juxtaposition to the intensity of three dudes striding into the frame. (And who else here thinks the gent in the Agent Smith shades is rolling with a J-frame, weak side?)

02-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Criticizing photography (much less practicing it!) isn't my long suit, but I'd argue that in terms of narrative, Sweat-pants Guy et al provide an essential juxtaposition to the intensity of three dudes striding into the frame. (And who else here thinks the gent in the Agent Smith shades is rolling with a J-frame, weak side?)
I admittedly had to look up "J-Frame" but I think I see what you mean -- the slight bulge of the handle?
02-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ha, no--but with that kind of body language, it definitely goes with the ensemble! (A more-than-trivial question, though, might be what kind of Heckler & Koch-y goodness Blackwater is carrying in his messenger bag.)

Kidding aside, this capture fairly vibrates with drama--that diagonal line you mention isn't just spatial, it's also a continuum of psychological states, ranging from the quiet confidence of the man on the cell phone, the slightly bemused but watchful mien of the guy rocking the John Bolton 'stache, to the slightly more agitated and aggressive stance of the third (because caught flat-footed?). The good publicans in the far corner are comic relief. Take it as a compliment that my mind automatically assigns a narrative arc ("ex-South African businessman's security detail on the streets of Philadelphia") to the proceedings--most of the movies I've seen lately haven't engaged me as much as this one "frame."

02-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Me, it's simple - I really like the shot!

02-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A good gritty example of street photography.