Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
It's good to work in a nursery
Posted By: Damn Brit, 05-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Here's a few pictures I took in the nursery this week. Color is everywhere.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-24-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Views: 3,020
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice photos! A couple of them haven't got the focus where the shot lead my eye -- but that could just be me. Great colours and light and shade, just the thing for a bleak start to winter in Melbourne (16° and sunny though).
05-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great series of shots Brit. I love the purple hibiscus.
05-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice. I like the purple one best too. What are those in the last one?

05-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Igilligan

the purple Hi is my fave too... on the strawberry pic, the focus is on the flower at the top and the green berry at the bottom, but my brain crys out for the red strawberry... it goes back to that other thread and the old strawberry fields back home...

How long have you worked at the nursery? Pm me the name... my wife is all about going to nursery's...
05-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Nice photos! A couple of them haven't got the focus where the shot lead my eye -- but that could just be me. Great colours and light and shade, just the thing for a bleak start to winter in Melbourne (16° and sunny though).
Thanks for the comments, maybe I've got a dodgy eye because I quite often get strange focal points, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was also looking round to make sure my boss didn't catch me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Thanks for liking them.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Nice. I like the purple one best too. What are those in the last one?
Thanks Mel, the last shot was a Mugo Pine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
the purple Hi is my fave too... on the strawberry pic, the focus is on the flower at the top and the green berry at the bottom, but my brain crys out for the red strawberry... it goes back to that other thread and the old strawberry fields back home...

How long have you worked at the nursery? Pm me the name... my wife is all about going to nursery's...
I kind of liked the oof strawberry.
I'm sure they won't mind a plug Gus. McDonnell Nursery in Orinda. If you like Japanese Maples, we have a boat load of em.

Gary
05-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots. The Hibiscus is really my pick
Yes I agree with your title, as I work at a Botanic Gardens, it really helps the photography, eh!

05-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Great shots. The Hibiscus is really my pick
Yes I agree with your title, as I work at a Botanic Gardens, it really helps the photography, eh!
Yeah, but in spring it's hard because we're so busy with customers. Thanks for the comment. The Hibiscus did come out well didn't it eh?
Gary
05-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Forum Member

I believe the purple flower is in fact a Tree Mallow (Lavatera maritima), and not ah hibiscus. They do look similar though.
05-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots DB, and irish spring beat me to the punch on the tree mallow. They do look a lot alike but the hibiscus probably wouldn't be flowering in the SF area this time of year. And working in nurseries is fun, unless of course you have to go out and dig holes for all the trees you sell! :O

NaCl(or lay a bunch of sod, or dig trenches for lawn spinkler systems, or railroad tie terraces or...)H2O
05-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well done Gary - love the strawberry . I agree on the purple as well.
05-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by irish_spring Quote
I believe the purple flower is in fact a Tree Mallow (Lavatera maritima), and not ah hibiscus. They do look similar though.
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice shots DB, and irish spring beat me to the punch on the tree mallow. They do look a lot alike but the hibiscus probably wouldn't be flowering in the SF area this time of year. And working in nurseries is fun, unless of course you have to go out and dig holes for all the trees you sell! :O

NaCl(or lay a bunch of sod, or dig trenches for lawn spinkler systems, or railroad tie terraces or...)H2O
Thanks for not pointing out the fact I, as someone who works in a nursery, should have pointed out that it wasn't an Hibiscus. Instead, I continued the error. DOH! In my defense, I was thinking about the comments and not about plant ID.

I just noticed that Bramela called it a Hibiscus too, he works in a Botanical Garden.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-31-2008 at 06:56 PM.
05-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Gary - love the strawberry . I agree on the purple as well.
Thanks Dave. They're Alpine Strawberries, really small and sweet. (Grown up candy).
05-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Damn Brit

Should I crop the strawberry shot? If so, where?
Thanks
05-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Me too. Really nice.

Jer