Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A few Winter Birds
Lens: Tokina 400, M 200 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: East Tennessee ISO: 50 
Posted By: mole, 02-10-2015, 07:33 PM

Just a few snapshots of a few East Tennessee winter birds...

Eastern Bluebirds are year-round residents here in East Tennessee, but their numbers swell in the wintertime. That's because we are also a destination for the Eastern Bluebirds that are migrating south. And this mud puddle at the forest edge was a popular "water hole" with a Bluebird flock on a recent sunny day.

There were more males than females in this group.

But we did see some of both, and neither were particularly shy.

The home park lake is a favorite winter destination for American Coots. This "old coot" always looks forward to seeing them feeding on the lake plants. Here are a few views - showing those amazing coot feet.

Fewer folks camping mean that birds in the home park campground become bolder during the winter months. Here's a Nuthatch busy with insect eggs on a campground oak tree.

And a Red Bellied Woodpecker working a campsite hickory tree.

Will end with one of my favorite winter birds. White Throated Sparrows are common here all winter long. This one was kind enough to pose just outside my back door.

Hope you enjoyed these glimpses of some winter feathered friends. Thanks in advance for your comments & critique!
Views: 1,103
02-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Hope you enjoyed these glimpses of some winter feathered friends.
Yes I did. Nice colors and for those of us stuck with mostly snow, it is much appreciated. Only suggestion is that you think more about composition. Most of the birds are shown center frame, and there may be more creative ways to frame both the birds and the surroundings.
02-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow - these are so well done. Nice stuff, indeed.

Jer
02-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Nice colors and for those of us stuck with mostly snow, it is much appreciated. Only suggestion is that you think more about composition. Most of the birds are shown center frame, and there may be more creative ways to frame both the birds and the surroundings.
Glad I could bring you some warmer-weather pictures! You are probably right about the framing - I was paying more attention to the "antics" of the birds than to the composition. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - these are so well done. Nice stuff, indeed.

Jer
So glad you enjoyed these!!

02-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
I was paying more attention to the "antics" of the birds than to the composition. Thanks!
As you should, but for the nuthatch shots, for example, you could easily crop from the negative space on the right to put the bird closer to the right third.