Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bug IMG DA35 macro
Posted By: LaRee, 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM

For the past few weeks I've been keeping an eye out for yellow macro candidates. It's been windy outside for the most part and kind of creating more of a challenge than I am up for I guess.

Yesterday I visited the small church where my oldest son will be getting married in June. I wanted to check out the lighting etc. Outside the church there were flowers everywhere. I found this one with a very small bug on it. Actually, my 8 year old son spotted it and drew my attention to it. It was windy and a challenge to get close with the DA35 macro and not have my shadow in the shot. I was shooting hand held and trying my best to sway WITH the wind. ;-)

Here is the shot I captured:

The flower is beat up and there were spots that need to be cloned out. I cropped it severely and cleaned up the spots to end up with this:

Now I LOVE the DA35 macro, but it really isn't a bug macro lens. I actually like the way it performs in landscape shots. This is the small church in Old Town, San Diego where my son will be married in June.

Views: 1,637
05-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LaRee,

Nice and lively images captured.

marcus
05-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is a very nice macro in deed. Sharp focus on the insect. What is it btw?
05-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Looks like a cricket. Nice capture.

05-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusyoung Quote
LaRee,
Nice and lively images captured.
marcus
Thank you for looking and commenting Marcus

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That is a very nice macro in deed. Sharp focus on the insect. What is it btw?
I must admit this wasn't easy. I took 12 photos, with both the flower and me swaying back and forth I thought I might get lucky and get a sharp shot in one at least. lol

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Looks like a cricket. Nice capture.
Actually I just did some digging around for an id on BugGuide.net and I believe this to be a katydid nymph. It was really, really tiny!

Thanks for the comments guys!
05-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That is impressive LaRee for hand held and a nice church! Congrats on the upcomming nuptals for your son as well.
06-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
That is impressive LaRee for hand held and a nice church! Congrats on the upcomming nuptals for your son as well.
Thank you kindly Dave. June is going to be a busy month. My oldest son is graduating college and my middle son high school. Add a marriage into the mix and we'll be on our toes most the month.

06-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots LaRee. It looks like the Katydid was having lunch on the petal over it's back. But an excellent capture and wonderful PP work. The church looks lovely, a really nice intimate setting for a wedding. Are you going to be the principle photog for the wedding?

NaCl(with all you have on your plate I'm surprised you have time to post!)H2O
06-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Actually I just did some digging around for an id on BugGuide.net and I believe this to be a katydid nymph. It was really, really tiny!

Thanks for the comments guys!
This is from Wikipedia: The family Tettigoniidae, known in American English as katydids and in British English as bush-crickets, contains more than 6,400 species. It is part of the suborder Ensifera and the only family in the superfamily Tettigonoidea. They are also known as long-horned grasshoppers, although they are more closely related to crickets than to grasshoppers.

I'm English and Canadian and I'm nearly American as well. I talk a new kind of Pidgin.

I guess Katydid doesn't translate as well as Cricket in all the European Languages.
Gary
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice shots LaRee. It looks like the Katydid was having lunch on the petal over it's back. But an excellent capture and wonderful PP work. The church looks lovely, a really nice intimate setting for a wedding. Are you going to be the principle photog for the wedding?

NaCl(with all you have on your plate I'm surprised you have time to post!)H2O
I do have a lot on my plate, but I'm kind of used to that. My posting time is MY time, and hey, I have to make time for ME right? Yep I am going to be the principle (actually the only) photographer for the wedding. The thought of that was driving my husband nuts though, so he asked a long time friend that shoots as a back up for his son who is a wedding photographer and he's agreed to help me out. That makes me feel much better as I know how much I'll be working instead of enjoying everything! I'm also not so sure I'll see my other two sons get married! The church is a very nice quaint old small church, only problem is that it is in historical Old Town. In June this area is hopping with tourists and the parking is impossible. Not sure how WE are going to get parking, let alone the guests! Wouldn't been my pick for a place, but hey, I didn't get a vote. LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This is from Wikipedia: The family Tettigoniidae, known in American English as katydids and in British English as bush-crickets, contains more than 6,400 species. It is part of the suborder Ensifera and the only family in the superfamily Tettigonoidea. They are also known as long-horned grasshoppers, although they are more closely related to crickets than to grasshoppers.

I'm English and Canadian and I'm nearly American as well. I talk a new kind of Pidgin.

I guess Katydid doesn't translate as well as Cricket in all the European Languages.
Gary
Thanks for sharing the info Gary. I'll stick to calling it a katydid. Because although grasshoppers are pretty cool looking in macro, those crickets are not!