Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Something Greater
Lens: Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 Contemporary Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Huntsville, AL ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: MadMathMind, 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM

I don't know if this photo is really all that interesting to anyone but me, but I'll post it anyway. It was taken when I was in Huntsville for a job interview (for a position I knew the location would make difficult to accept); a few days later I'd head to Houston for a chance to be a part of the producer of my post-interview entertainment.

What I love about photography is its innate ability to take the ordinary and isolate it from its common status and turn your focus onto what the subject really represents, even when the photo isn't particularly artistic. Artifacts and similar commemorations like this surround me at work--about a football field away from me is a real Saturn V rocket--but this photo makes me reflect on everything the agency has done, is trying to do, and my (very small) role in something much greater than any one person can comprehend.

I think Neil Armstrong thought of unlocking new potential (technically and philosophically) when he called the moon landing "a giant leap for mankind." To me, it's all about what can be accomplished by setting high goals and striving to reach them with fervor and determination (and a metric ton of money, but let's ignore that for now).

Views: 832