Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Color or B&W
Lens: DA L 50-200mm f4 Camera: K-50 ISO: 50 
Posted By: Zephos, 02-15-2015, 06:57 PM

Not sure which is better. Is the red background in the color version too distracting?

Views: 741
02-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BW and yes it looks a bit off the colour, IMO. Eye level with a giraffe not some thing you see everyday, good one.
02-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Not sure which is better. Is the red background in the color version too distracting?

Background B&W giraffe in colour could be awesome
02-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMH-K5 Quote
Background B&W giraffe in colour could be awesome
How would I accomplish this?

02-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

How would I accomplish this?
Layers in photoshop or other programs are available
02-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Is the red background in the color version too distracting?
Yes, B&W partially softens this, but your conversion is too gray and drab. And the background is still terrible. Looks like that post is supporting the animal's head. It is far better to view the whole frame and its contents prior to taking the shot.

M
02-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
It is far better to view the whole frame and its contents prior to taking the shot.

M
Yes, because I just pointed the camera, looked away and pressed the shutter button lol (sarcasm intended).

Actually the animal was moving a lot and I was fighting crowds. This just so happened to be the best photo I came out with. If I had time to sit and study everything about the composition, every minute detail, making sure to "view the whole frame" I probably would have come out much worse because by the time I had decided to take the shot the animal's head wouldn't even be in the frame haha.

Thanks for your constructive criticism!

Last edited by Zephos; 02-16-2015 at 08:17 PM.
02-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As if I didn't "view it" before taking the shot?
Look, I don't know what goes through your head or anyone else's head when they take the shot. All I or anyone else commenting here can respond to is the image itself. I have good faith that everyone who posts images for critique cares about getting it right. The circumstances leading up to the shot is none of my business because all I can do is respond to the shot and critique it against an ideal. That is a key aspect to a critique.

One of my few assumptions is that people post their best shots for critique, so if someone responds by saying "Looks like that post is supporting the animal's head." that will be viewed as useful information that was overlooked when composing the shot. If you are posting a shot that you know is obviously flawed, then this feedback should not be surprising. That's why I encourage folks to post their best work for critique.
In my 40+ plus years of shooting professionally and avocationally, there have been thousands of times that I have overlooked issues in a shot and have been grateful to editors, newspaper critics, and peers for pointing out flaws both obvious and subtle.

Instead of "your conversion is too gray and drab" try this: "I think it could use more contrast".
Being too gray and drab is a common problem of less-than-wonderful black and white imaging. I don't necessarily know what better direction a conversion should take--as the artist that's your concern.

Sorry, the background is terrible in either B&W or color. To me it sabotages what appears to be an intention of capturing the giraffe's head and neck. Please correct me if my assumption about the objective of this shot is substantially different. There is also a ventilation fan that is growing out of the giraffe's head. You've already acknowledged that the background was problematic in color--I'm just pointing out very obvious problems. Please realize that critiques are not just for the photographer, they are for others to learn from as well. Backgrounds matter a lot.

Also please realize that there is nothing personal intended in my critique, it's just my opinion and like other things. . .we all have one.

M

02-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Look, I don't know what goes through your head or anyone else's head when they take the shot. All I or anyone else commenting here can respond to is the image itself. I have good faith that everyone who posts images for critique cares about getting it right. The circumstances leading up to the shot is none of my business because all I can do is respond to the shot and critique it against an ideal. That is a key aspect to a critique.

One of my few assumptions is that people post their best shots for critique, so if someone responds by saying "Looks like that post is supporting the animal's head." that will be viewed as useful information that was overlooked when composing the shot. If you are posting a shot that you know is obviously flawed, then this feedback should not be surprising. That's why I encourage folks to post their best work for critique.
In my 40+ plus years of shooting professionally and avocationally, there have been thousands of times that I have overlooked issues in a shot and have been grateful to editors, newspaper critics, and peers for pointing out flaws both obvious and subtle.

Being too gray and drab is a common problem of less-than-wonderful black and white imaging. I don't necessarily know what better direction a conversion should take--as the artist that's your concern.

Sorry, the background is terrible in either B&W or color. To me it sabotages what appears to be an intention of capturing the giraffe's head and neck. Please correct me if my assumption about the objective of this shot is substantially different. There is also a ventilation fan that is growing out of the giraffe's head. You've already acknowledged that the background was problematic in color--I'm just pointing out very obvious problems. Please realize that critiques are not just for the photographer, they are for others to learn from as well. Backgrounds matter a lot.

Also please realize that there is nothing personal intended in my critique, it's just my opinion and like other things. . .we all have one.

M
Fair enough. You are right about the background. I don't know why your critique came across the way it did. I think seeing someone point out flaws that I never noticed was a little bit of a shock. Yes, I post my best shots, not ones I already know are flawed. I don't have a sharp eye for this stuff yet because I just started learning photography, so my best shots are probably not that good to you. In this post I was merely asking about the red background vs black&white. Usually when I want a full-blown critique I will post it in the critique thread, like I did here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/288831-abstract-framing-too-tight.html (feel free to critique that one).

Maybe I misunderstood the use of this thread?

I'm sorry for making a big deal of it. I over-reacted and I hope we can put it behind us. I noticed you are a soccer fan (nice sports shots, btw) and I am too so maybe you could help me improve my sports shots once MLS starts up! Although, I might be tempted to gloat when my RSL beats the Sounders. Maybe I could snap some good shots of a Sounders away game here for you! (they allow cameras at the games).