Old log house
Posted By: gawan, 05-31-2008, 05:09 PM

I love old log houses, here is a detail of one over 100 year old, cc welcome

Views: 3,056
05-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The texture of the wood is nice and I really like the shadows of the tree branches. One thing I see, however, is the brightness at the far right, especially at the bottom, draws my eyes out of the image. Is there any way to, I don't know, maybe darken it a little just in that area to keep the eye in the frame?

It looks like a neat cabin. Do you have a shot of the whole thing?
06-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thankyou Mel, I see what you mean. Tried to correct this, but did not quite knew how to brighten up partially (even diagonally), here I applied a second layer, but I think I lost some of the warmth...

Any tip on how should I have done it?

06-01-2008, 04:03 AM   #4

Hi Georg,

Love the texture of old wood 'dachas'. You have managed to capture the warmish brown of the timber. Over the border in Russia most of the old wooden dachas turn grey.
Lightening your image would take away some of the nice brown tones.

06-01-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the shadow. The cottage is beautiful itself. Good eye for the framing!
06-01-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I wouldn't lighten it as I think the rest of it is perfect in its tones and and contrast. What I was thinking of harkens back to my old B&W darkroom days when I'd take a little edge or corner that I thought was too bright and burn it in a little.

I have no idea what is the digitial equivalent of burning-in. I haven't been able to figure out yet how to get that same effect with a computer on a digital image.

Last edited by mel; 06-01-2008 at 07:31 AM.
06-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
SouthShoreRob

I too love such richness in colour and texture. This may be too radical a suggestion given the "view" you're trying to produce, but perhaps a tighter crop of just the left window (void of the bright right side and tree branches) would be better? If such a crop brings us closer to the window, we may also see more detail in the wood...just a thought since you asked...thanks for sharing.

Rob

06-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I like this shot quite a bit and do agree with Mel on the light. This is a spot where exposing to the bright areas is very important. I would have spot metered one of the brighter areas of the wood on the lower right side and allow the rest to be a bit darker. You can always lighten the darker areas afterwards but bright or overexposed areas can't be easily recovered.

If the place isn't too far from home, plan a visit at sunrise or sunset and get some shots in the warmer light during that time of day. I bet the results would be stunning.
06-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garth1948 Quote
Hi Georg,

Love the texture of old wood 'dachas'. You have managed to capture the warmish brown of the timber. Over the border in Russia most of the old wooden dachas turn grey.
Lightening your image would take away some of the nice brown tones.
Thanks, many wooden houses turn grey in here also, but some of them, when old enough, have been build with logs, that have grown real slow and contain so much tar, that when they get older they simply get more darker brown, just like this one.
06-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I too love old buildings, and you have done a fine job of capturing this one. I like the composition and perspective.
06-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like the shadow. The cottage is beautiful itself. Good eye for the framing!
Thanks, James!

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I wouldn't lighten it as I think the rest of it is perfect in its tones and and contrast. What I was thinking of harkens back to my old B&W darkroom days when I'd take a little edge or corner that I thought was too bright and burn it in a little.

I have no idea what is the digitial equivalent of burning-in. I haven't been able to figure out yet how to get that same effect with a computer on a digital image.
Thanks Mel, I think i know what you mean, I would love to learn how to do partial manipulations in PP.

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
I too love such richness in colour and texture. This may be too radical a suggestion given the "view" you're trying to produce, but perhaps a tighter crop of just the left window (void of the bright right side and tree branches) would be better? If such a crop brings us closer to the window, we may also see more detail in the wood...just a thought since you asked...thanks for sharing.

Rob
Thanks Rob, I laready cropped a little to get a clean two window framing, I think I'll try with another day to take just the one window.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like this shot quite a bit and do agree with Mel on the light. This is a spot where exposing to the bright areas is very important. I would have spot metered one of the brighter areas of the wood on the lower right side and allow the rest to be a bit darker. You can always lighten the darker areas afterwards but bright or overexposed areas can't be easily recovered.

If the place isn't too far from home, plan a visit at sunrise or sunset and get some shots in the warmer light during that time of day. I bet the results would be stunning.
This is actually quite near and I often walk by it! Thanks for the tip, Peter, little planning ahead surely might help.

Here is still another try and a new one for you, thank you all for advice..

06-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
I too love old buildings, and you have done a fine job of capturing this one. I like the composition and perspective.
Thanks Diane!
06-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Gerog. I especially like the second set. The one of the plain log wall has such wonderful texture.

NaCl(and nice color too!)H2O
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Wonderful texture in that wood and the shadow does add to the overall image. That brightness on the right was not seen as a problem by me since my eyes go from left to right anyways on a picture.
06-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I do like the textures and color of that old wood. Very nice.