Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The post suet feeder.
Lens: DA* 60-250 + HD DA1.4 TC Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 400 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 02-23-2015, 02:05 PM

The most popular feeder today was an old tree I cut down, then rescued from the fire pit, where it could have been a fine member of the bonfire team. I drilled a few holes to put suet in and hung it up. I later learned to make a paste type suet for it... vegetable shortening, canola oil, peanut butter, wheat flour and corn meal. Today it was the second most popular thing going. The other one, also one I made, was pretty popular with the smaller birds, not so much with the wood peckers, and the Redpolls don't use the commercial feeders I paid good money for at all, preferring the food to be laid out buffet style in a flat surface, my hanging birdhouse type feeder or the ground works for them.

For all the others the homemade suet feeder was the big thing...

The chickadees stop in occasionally, although the black oil sunflower seed dispensers are still their main thing.

Male Hairy Woodpecker at the post

Female hairy Woodpecker at the post.. (no red on her head).

Red Breasted Nuthatch

The White Breasted Nuthatch likes the post both right side up...

But it's just as good upside down.

Or Horizontal

The one I paid the most for sits pretty much un-used.

Darn birds don't know what real quality is.
This is the one the bear took down and ripped apart. It's now held together by "Black Steel" epoxy. It now seems to be the back up feeder, mostly used when the others are out of seed.
IN happier days.

Last edited by normhead; 02-24-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Views: 1,476
02-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea !!
02-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Some very nice shots there. I am going to cut some of my own trees and attempt to do much the same.
02-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would try this but the birds in our neighborhood really like to bomb the cars! This would just give em more ammo!
Nice sharp photos though!

02-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
Good idea !!
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by theoicarry Quote
Some very nice shots there. I am going to cut some of my own trees and attempt to do much the same.
It took me more time to find the tools than it did to do the job.

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
I would try this but the birds in our neighborhood really like to bomb the cars! This would just give em more ammo!
Nice sharp photos though!
Our feeders are away from the car park. For the reason you mention, but also because mice like to live in the car and eat at the feeder if you park too close.
02-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice shots. Do you think the birds can smell the epoxy and that keeps them away? Since they used it before the bear attack...
02-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Nice shots. Do you think the birds can smell the epoxy and that keeps them away? Since they used it before the bear attack...
Since the bear attack I built the house type feeder for the finches, and took the square feeder back from my step son because he didn't use it. It used to be one of 2, now it's one of 4. I think they just prefer the other feeders. Epoxy (real epoxy) is completely inert after cured. So I doubt it's the epoxy, or that it smells. It's been out there since the fall and had lots of time to cure. I've often seen two bird on the feeder with the metal leaves, two on the little one with two perches, and 3 or 4 on the house type feeder, while the big one sits empty. During the time I was out today I couldn't get a picture of a bird on it. Part of that was the birds that went to it were very quick. But part was that while I saw hundred of trips to the other feeders, I saw maybe 5 or 6 trips to that one. My guess is, they don't like the diameter of the cylinder. They seem to like the smaller feeder, or the open view of the feeder deck on the house type feeder.
02-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great idea Norm...and thanks for that recipe too! Very nice shots...we have many identical birds feeding at your place and here at my place far south in Texas! Reckon they fly back and forth every night?

I have a few feeders but the main feed is the 4 inch flat rail on my 55 foot long cedar fence. Twice a day I cover it with premium bird feed and almost all the birds immediately flock to it.
I've counted as many as 127 Whitewing doves on it at one time....they come twice a day like clockwork, wait in the trees and land as soon as I put the feed down.

It was icy with sleet today, so I fed an extra two times....the place was swarming with birds! (And Squirrels!)

I have to watch for Otis, he gets in sprinter position when I put out the feed so he can run down the fence and get it before the birds do....

Regards! ...thanks for those ideas!

02-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's almost a full time job Norm keeping the birds happy.I use the suet blocks that are around a buck and 2 of them last about 2 days around here.It seems to be a crowd pleaser for all the birds.That feeder in your 4th pic is one that I also have .--Zapper
02-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great idea Norm...and thanks for that recipe too! Very nice shots...we have many identical birds feeding at your place and here at my place far south in Texas! Reckon they fly back and forth every night?

I have a few feeders but the main feed is the 4 inch flat rail on my 55 foot long cedar fence. Twice a day I cover it with premium bird feed and almost all the birds immediately flock to it.
I've counted as many as 127 Whitewing doves on it at one time....they come twice a day like clockwork, wait in the trees and land as soon as I put the feed down.

It was icy with sleet today, so I fed an extra two times....the place was swarming with birds! (And Squirrels!)

I have to watch for Otis, he gets in sprinter position when I put out the feed so he can run down the fence and get it before the birds do....

Regards! ...thanks for those ideas!
We used to use the horizontal rails on the deck, but they are too close to the house and we started getting mice in the house. But I have some rails lying over beside one of my sheds, A three or four section cedar fence with a flat top rail might be just the thing...

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
It's almost a full time job Norm keeping the birds happy.I use the suet blocks that are around a buck and 2 of them last about 2 days around here.It seems to be a crowd pleaser for all the birds.That feeder in your 4th pic is one that I also have .--Zapper
We took that feeder back from my step son after giving it to him last year. He never filled it even once after we left, so I figured I can use that. It's become quite popular. I have store suet out too, an it will last a week or two here. I fill my post every day. They definitely prefer the home made recipe, although they will go to the commercial feeder every now and then even when the post is empty. They don't seem to mind having both.

Last edited by normhead; 02-24-2015 at 08:07 AM.
02-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the issue with the expensive feeder is the metal runs too high. The birds are going to go for where they can see the feed, and aren't bright enough to realize that the seeds above the big etal thing actually go down into it. The strays you see are the ones foraging who stop and go "waitasecond, theres food here!"

My old setup when I lived in the sticks was a couple shepherd hooks with feeders dangling from them. They did fairly well at keeping the squirrels away for the first half of the winter, and the birds had a place to perch when waiting their turns to feed. I had a picnic table nearby to scatter seed on for the foragers.

Of course the best laid plans don't hold up against mother nature... eventually the snow became deep enough the feeders were within reach of the squirrels fro the ground, and the picnic table became buried.
02-25-2015, 04:04 AM   #12

Traduire
En franšais
02-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmm, that means "translate to French". Must have been trying to use the forum's translation function if it has one.... certainly one of the more unusual responses I've had to a post.
02-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with the Redpoles, I'll take mine buffet style and choose what I want. Wonderful shots Norm, you have more birds in frigid weather than we have ever had in a perfect climate, go figure?
02-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I'm with the Redpoles, I'll take mine buffet style and choose what I want. Wonderful shots Norm, you have more birds in frigid weather than we have ever had in a perfect climate, go figure?
It's all about drink and food Bob... just like men...