Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Backyard Bruin This Morning
Posted By: SCGushue, 06-02-2008, 06:09 AM

This morning I was awakened by one of my children that there was a black bear in the backyard. It was 5:30 and very low light.

Even with ISO 1600 I could only manage 1/15sec. Too bad about the bear rotating his head, but thought that it might be interesting to post anyway. The bird feeder is more than 12 inches across at the top. Big Black Bear.

Stephen

Attached Images

Views: 2,849
06-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
Igilligan

Wow Stephen

Stephen, what a thing to wake up to... and a great job of catching it for all of us to see.

Do you see things like this often?

06-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #17
Damn Brit

I like the blurring of the face, I think it adds action to the shot.
Gary
06-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Is the bear in your backyard? That is not really that safe ? Attracting the wrong specie with the bird feeder...
06-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Great shot btw The blurr is alright and a bit of action, drama to the shot.

06-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh.
My.
Gawd!

Fancy waking up to that! Glad your kids didn't wander into the yard. I don't get wildlife in the burbs :?
06-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Is it same Don Spencer who sang the Fireball XL5 song?
Indeed, it is.

He also has the less impressive claim of being Russell Crowe's father-in-law!
06-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Hey pretty cool, I have had for the last three or so years a bear trolling through my yard for the bird feeders. This year no sign at all of him. I am happy he found a new yard to eat in but do wish I could see him for old time sake and get a quick snap of course Good job for a wake up call shot.

06-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Is the bear in your backyard? That is not really that safe ? Attracting the wrong specie with the bird feeder...
Never thought of that ... what the heck do you get at your bear feeder.

My brother in law sent these pics of a bear taken in Sault Ste. Marie area.

"Where's dinner?"

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

That is hilarious! Great capture! Is that for real ?
06-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an amazing shot!

But I guess the bear has observed other "creatures" sitting at the same table and eating.....so if its good enough for them...??....but where's my tucker?

Love it.
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Stephen, what a thing to wake up to... and a great job of catching it for all of us to see.

Do you see things like this often?
Gus,
Hey Dude! I am a FireBall XL5 groupie from way back when I was a teenage. Love that show... with no strings attached

Thanks on the bear issue. I have only seen a bear in the back yard about three times. I have seen evidence of him many, many times. One broke into a house over theridge from me about 10 years ago. Musta' smelled someone cooking a pie

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I like the blurring of the face, I think it adds action to the shot.
Gary
Thanks Gary. None the less I would have loved to have nailed a frozen shot. But it was a lot darker than it looks in the image and I was hand holding the heavy Sigma EX DG 100-300mm f/4 wide open. I never would have pulled off the 300 2.8 handheld in that light. Furhter, I don't think I was using SR as I was tripod shooting earlier in the week.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It isn't too scarry James. I mean I don't think I would go out their and kick his ass off my bird feeder but they generally are shy enough to avoid people. The problem here in the mountains is that some people actually feed them which puts other people in danger when theh bears don't get what they want.

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Oh.
My.
Gawd!

Fancy waking up to that! Glad your kids didn't wander into the yard. I don't get wildlife in the burbs :?
Kris,

I am fortunate ... my kids are all grown up and finished with college... they just won't move out!!!

My wife feels the bear should be carted off to some remote god foresaken place but my feeling is that I am grateful that he shares the forest with us in relative peace
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Hey pretty cool, I have had for the last three or so years a bear trolling through my yard for the bird feeders. This year no sign at all of him. I am happy he found a new yard to eat in but do wish I could see him for old time sake and get a quick snap of course Good job for a wake up call shot.
Yeah, I know what you mean Pat. I like the idea of living in a place where you can have these types of creatures locally available. But, I don't want to step off my deck and have a big paw swipe at me from under the deck

Thanks on the shot too. Everything went wrong!. Battery was dead, could get to my fast teles, sleepy and calculating why the hell exposures were originally 3/5sec @ iso 100. I only managed to ge three shots off.

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Never thought of that ... what the heck do you get at your bear feeder.
My brother in law sent these pics of a bear taken in Sault Ste. Marie area.

"Where's dinner?"
This is toooooooo funny for words. Too funny!
This is toooooooo funny for words. Too funny!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
What an amazing shot!

But I guess the bear has observed other "creatures" sitting at the same table and eating.....so if its good enough for them...??....but where's my tucker?

Love it.
Agree with you on that one. A very perceptive or well trained bear

Stephen
06-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Man, what a good capture. And, I thought the squirrels attacking my feeders was problematic.

The last ones of the bear at the table is priceless.