Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winter In The Back Yard
Posted By: Photo Tramp, 02-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Since the slight first snow fall last night I was able to get out today and get some pictures of our back yard that show something of winter here in Lancaster Pennsylvania USA. I hope you like them.

I hope in the near future I will be able to get more pictures of winter around here but we need more snow. (I never thought I would say that)
Views: 1,722
02-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots! I wish I could see this kind of landscape every day...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank You Adam,
My wife and I have lived here for the past 10 years. I can not tell you what a joy it is to live with in 3 min. of a large city and still have this kind of beauty to look at each day. I have taken more shots of this area in the past two years and call them my test shots. Each new lens I get I have taken shots in this same area for the most part it is just to see if I like the lens.

Today I used my DA 50-200mm at 200 ISO and the first one was taken at 50mm and so was the second. the third was taken at 88mm. I never get tired of using this lens.
02-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... I love your yard David, and in my opinion those photo's with that little bit of snow make it look even nicer
I hope that your new job is still treating you right

02-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

Very scenic

but very cold! There's a reason why I can't live any further north than, say, Tennessee and it's the cold!

I like the composition of the second one best. Thanks, David.
02-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shots Dave. (is it okay if I call you Dave or should it be David?) Great shots and we also had a measurable snowfall for the first time this winter (if you can even call it that) Having such a great landscape to shoot must be great. Any fish in that river? Thanks for sharing!
02-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #7

LOL! I was thinking the same thing, Pat! Whenever I see water, the first thing I do is look for fish (or signs of fish). My last apartment was only a few hundred yards from the Chattahoochee river so I kept a couple of rods, both spinning and fly, rigged up and I frequently went down there to fish for 30 minutes or so. Unfortunately, I can't afford a house located next to water in a major metropolitan area so I had to settle for a nice house in a nice neighborhood but no water...

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Nice shots Dave. (is it okay if I call you Dave or should it be David?) Great shots and we also had a measurable snowfall for the first time this winter (if you can even call it that) Having such a great landscape to shoot must be great. Any fish in that river? Thanks for sharing!
02-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Either one Pat, just don't call me late for supper. Our back yard is great and with 50 feet of beach each year and some great small mouth and rock bass, along with some walleye and muskie at times. We have had a Muskie around for the past 5 years that will take whole ducks in one strike. There have been many times during the summer that we sit on the deck and watch this huge fish just coast buy. It is an amazing place. We have Deer in early spring and late fall and winter (about 5 doe and one 8 point buck) We have so many birds and hawks, and even a nesting pair of Bald eagles down around the bend. It's so great to live on the river. even when she gets mad and gives us water surround when it floods. I can't think of any place I want to live. The invitation is open to those that get close to stop on in and set a spell on the deck. Bring a rod and some crank bait and enjoy your self. But most of all bring your camera and lenses You're going to need them.

02-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jun Park Quote
but very cold! There's a reason why I can't live any further north than, say, Tennessee and it's the cold!

I like the composition of the second one best. Thanks, David.
Thank you for looking Jun,
I like the second one best also I think it has more definition and depth.
If you get close in the summer and want a place to hang a rod and snap some great shots, Your welcome any time.
02-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thats sound great. I used to do a lot of fishing until two things happened. One I started playing golf and two got more into taking pictures of anything that moved. Nothing like throwing a buzz bait across the top of a calm lake and watching a Largemouth or pike break the water and take off running. I have a friend that is still heartbroken to hear my Rods and Reel has not scene water in almost four years. I may get out with him this year and shot some action fishing shots. Oh and maybe catch a few for old time sake. Dave I promise if ever in the area I will stop on by, Long as I can bring the wife and kids
02-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Pat,
As I said before we don't have much room but you and the family are always welcome. bring then and stop in Pat.
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #12

Pat just reminded me of a story

I read a while back. I think it was written by William Tappley (sp?), a well known fly fishing writer. He described how a northern pike attacked a topwater fly as being akin to "witnessing a mugging". That's a great line and someday I hope to witness a northern pike attack a topwater in person.

Thanks for the offer, David. I'll give you a shout if I'm ever up that way. You also have an invitation to visit if you're ever in the Atlanta area. I do know a few places with some pretty decent trout...